Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which software to install to secure my laptop ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 loover1

loover1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

Hello,

I installed on my laptop ( Windows 10 Home) following software : 

- Bitdefender Total Security 2017
- Iobit Advanced System Care Ultimate 10
- CCleaner Professional and
- Malwarebytes Premium.

Is this OK or too much or can one of the above, for example Advanced System Care Ultimate 10, do the job alone or do you have another and better solution to have complete safety on my laptop ?

Thanks in advance for your reaction.
Best regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

ccleaner is not an anti-malware app, but okay - no harm having it installed. Just don't use the registry cleaner module.

Personally I recommend against utilities such as Iobit Advanced System Care. They don't do any good and can potentially do harm.

Bitdefender and Malwarebytes are good.

You might also want to consider SpywareBlaster (free version) as passive protection for your browsers. I'm also a fan of WinPatrol, but that's strictly personal choice.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

Making regular backups is a good practice to protect against incidents, not only security related.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:10 AM

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 megakotaro

megakotaro

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:52 AM

According to Eugene Kaspersky's article:

in the vast majority of cases, installing two antivirus programs from different vendors on one machine (for increased protection) is technically impossible, as the two programs will disrupt each other's functioning.

I think Bitdefender Total Security is enough. If you really want to install Malwarebytes Premium, make sure you disable realtime scan while enabling bitdefender realtime scan.

In my experience, too many optimization tools will lower your laptop speed so I don't recommend you installing Iobit.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

The above post is correct about running two av apps, but not about MalwareBytes. It is perfectly acceptable to run MalwareBytes Professional as a resident app in addition to your AV app.  However, it doesn't really matter since you don't have MBAM Pro.

He is also mistaken about "optimization tools". IMO, one such tool is too many. Please refer to quietman's post above regarding the use of registry cleaners.

#7 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

I'm also a fan of WinPatrol, but that's strictly personal choice.

Hi Allan, would you mind elaborating on your reasons for being a WinPatrol fan.

#8 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

it doesn't really matter since you don't have MBAM Pro.

He is also mistaken about "optimization tools". IMO, one such tool is too many. Please refer to quietman's post above regarding the use of registry cleaners.

-- Perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe loover1 may be using the paid version of Malwarebytes.

-- I have used CCleaner for many. many years and have always used their register cleaner.  I have never had any negative issues as a result of this.  To be safe, I do however make a point of backing up the registry as per the prompt before removing found issues.  * Having said this, I will definitely now read quietman's post regarding the use of registry cleaners.

#9 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

I installed on my laptop ( Windows 10 Home) following software : 
- Malwarebytes Premium.

If you are using the paid version of Malwarebytes (i.e. running real-time), you may want to consider using Zemana Anti-Malware instead.  According to some reports, Zemana is better than Malwarebytes (even though Malwarebytes is much better known).

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

it doesn't really matter since you don't have MBAM Pro.

-- Perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe loover1 may be using the paid version of Malwarebytes.

-- I have used CCleaner for many. many years and have always used their register cleaner.  I have never had any negative issues as a result of this.  To be safe, I do however make a point of backing up the registry as per the prompt before removing found issues.  * Having said this, I will definitely now read quietman's post regarding the use of registry cleaners.

Right you are - he's using the premium version - my mistake :)

As for the registry cleaner module I agree that ccleaner's is among the most benign. Having said that, it does absolutely nothing useful and Bleeping Computer STRONGLY urges against the use of ANY registry cleaners (per the link in quietman's post above).

#11 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

loover1:

I have been using Bitdefender Total Security and Malwarebytes Premium for years without any issues.  There is no need to disable the Malwarebytes real-time protection.  Both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes play nicely in the same sandbox! :)

I concur with the suggestions made to you by others, to avoid registry cleaners and system optimizers.  In my young and foolish days, I caused myself, and my computers, a lot of issues by believing the hype.  I avoid such apps like the plague now.  That said, I do also use CCleaner, but ONLY the "Ceaning" and "Tools" modules.  I don't let anything mess with my registry except Registry Backup, which I run weekly.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#12 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

Just had a thought.Bleeping should survey posters so BC staff can better understand a posters needs.How do you use your computer etc.Would make staffs lives a little easier.I know people hate survey,but it would help you guys out.First question should be are you paranoid?

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Check with your internet service provider. Comcast for instance gives away Norton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users