Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can the Settings-link help getting the Creators Update any faster than normally?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

Hi all!

We all know that the Windows 10 Creators Update is officially scheduled for launch on April 11th. :thumbup2:

As such, nowadays, if entering Start > Settings > Windows Update, there is a message reading: "Good news! Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Do you want to be one of the first to get it?" And beneath it, a link reading: "Yes, show me how"

Which, upon clicking, leads to this Microsoft site: Windows 10 Creators Update is coming soon

Thank you for your interest in being one of the first to experience the Windows 10 Creators Update! Were finalizing the update and will be ready to share it with you soon. When the update is ready for your device, youll receive a notification asking you to review your privacy settings before downloading the update.

Ideally, one would expect that the above-mentioned link would function as a kind of confimation that one had officially accepted the Creators Update, but nevertheless, it keeps returning. :exclame:

So hence, my question is:

Can the Settings-link help getting the Creators Update any faster than normally?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 04 April 2017 - 10:48 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

I don't think so.

I believe that an Update Assistant for the Creators Update (Version 1703) is supposed to be released prior to the 11th, but I have not been able to confirm that via the Microsoft website.

In any event, for myself, I'd rather wait to have it roll out to my machine whenever Microsoft puts it in a specific roll out cohort.  I've been on the bleeding edge of one of the previous updates and later in the process with another (and I can't remember which was which between 1511 and 1607).  I'd actually rather be later in the process as I have invariably had the "growing pains" associated with a new major release when part of the bleeding edge cohort.  That being said, those I know on the Insider program and preview builds have had nothing but good things to say about the final preview releases, which was not necessarily so in the past.  A lot of the early "kinks" in Windows 10 have been worked out and it appears that the Creators Update, while not making much difference from the end user's "look and feel" perspective, has implemented a lot of changes at the "under the hood" level in terms of working with features of newer hardware which makes resource use plummet in some cases.  That would be nice even though I've not had any problems with freezing (except on very rare occasions) with Windows 10.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/03/30/managing-windows-10-creators-update-rollout-seamless-experience/#shm6vQ8htsI4jSe4.97

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

Of course you can wait until next Tuesday and use the Media Creation Tool to download the complete ISO of Windows 10 Creators Update and do a clean install. Millions of people will be doing that next Tuesday, including me. I will probably install it on to at least 3 computers the first day and at least a dozen by the end of next week.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 610 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hi, britechguy & Rocky Bennett!

Thank you both for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

@Rocky: Your link makes for interesting reading! :thumbup2:

Of the options to use the Upgrade Assistant today, April 5th and the Media Creation Tool next Tuesday 11th, I am choosing the latter.

Which is to burn a DVD, i.e. not creating a bootable USB Flash Drive, as the former has worked perfectly before. Because I have read in other threads on the BC Windows 10 forums that the MCT is not the very best tool to create the latter.

The particular reason for reinstalling Windows 10 with the MCT is that I cannot succeed with installing critical updates to Creative Sound Blaster drivers and utilities, as my computer hard hangs during this (I have already had a BSOD forum topic about this, so reinstalling is actually the last option).

Thank you!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 06 April 2017 - 08:30 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,539 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

See here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/install-windows-10-creators-update-starting-today-with-this-microsoft-tool/

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 610 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

Hi, britechguy, Rocky Bennett & Grinler!

I do realize this is a bit late, but anyway I would really like to apologize for having forgotten to include an important sentence in my previous post, so here goes:

Thank you all very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

You're quite welcome.

Even my earlier statement appears to have been made obsolete at some point yesterday, as I think that link now takes you to the page for the Windows 10 Update Assistant for the Creators Update.

I had seen the information about the direct link to said Update Assistant on another forum I'm on even before I saw Lawrence's here.  I decided to download the assistant and let it run overnight.  The update went without a hitch.

I will say, though, that you should definitely go through all your Privacy settings again even after making your choices in relation to those and Cortana as part of the setup of the Creators Update.  They've changed somewhat and it's worth rechecking to make sure things are actually as you'd like them in light of what's available now.  Some of what used to be there isn't anymore and there are new bits that weren't there before.

One big improvement to Settings in general is the move of Apps out into their own separate category rather than being nested under System.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 610 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

Hi again, all!

Yes, once I can, I will make sure to do that; thanks for the tip, BTW! :wink:

And, speaking of which, I managed to find an interesting news article on the new Privacy settings in Windows 10 Creators Update:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-reveals-for-the-first-time-the-data-it-collects-in-windows-10/

Thank you again!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 07 April 2017 - 09:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users