Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall windows with an OEM??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

Hi i have ran into some troubles with my machine and came to the conclusion i am prob best just nuking my machine and starting over again the problem is however i don't have any repair disks from the company i bought my PC from (cyberpowerpc) will a generic ISO download of the current OS i am running work if i enter the windows 7 OEM Key after installation or will i need to contact cyberpower for a repair cd?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:34 AM

Hi,

Please post the Brand and model of the machine. Is this a laptop or a desktop?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:51 AM

Hi,

Please post the Brand and model of the machine. Is this a laptop or a desktop?

it is a desktop i bought it from cyberpowerpc with preinstalled windows 7 home premium 64 bit

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:35 AM

it is a desktop i bought it from cyberpowerpc with preinstalled windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Ok so its custom made or from a know brand like Acer, HP, etc.?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:39 AM

Ok so its custom made or from a know brand like Acer, HP, etc.?

it's custom made from a third party company called cyberpower, and they said i would need their ISO but im not sure if they are pulling my leg to try get more money out of me.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:32 AM

it's custom made from a third party company called cyberpower, and they said i would need their ISO but im not sure if they are pulling my leg to try get more money out of me.

Probably yes if they didn't create a Recovery Partition on the HDD.

How about Windows 10? you didn't accept the Microsoft offer to upgrade?

Can you post a screenshot of the Disk Manager showing the partitions on the Hard Disk?

___
Rui

#7 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:41 AM

Probably yes if they didn't create a Recovery Partition on the HDD.

How about Windows 10? you didn't accept the Microsoft offer to upgrade?

Can you post a screenshot of the Disk Manager showing the partitions on the Hard Disk?

sure my friend, here you go https://gyazo.com/0a3058bb5b684f824a280903e47265c6 (i hope that's what u needed) and no i didn't take the offer to upgrade to windows 10 i had to listen to a bunch of friends complain about it for months so i stayed with windows 7 :) also thank you for your assistance.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:03 AM

sure my friend, here you go https://gyazo.com/0a3058bb5b684f824a280903e47265c6 (i hope that's what u needed) and no i didn't take the offer to upgrade to windows 10 i had to listen to a bunch of friends complain about it for months so i stayed with windows 7 :) also thank you for your assistance.

Thanks, You are out of luck there is no Recovery Partition! You are welcome.

It's a long shot but visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 to see if it accepts your key to download Windows 7. Usually real OEM keys aren't accepted only Retail keys...

___
Rui

#9 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:09 AM

Thanks, You are out of luck there is no Recovery Partition! You are welcome.

It's a long shot but visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 to see if it accepts your key to download Windows 7. Usually real OEM keys aren't accepted only Retail keys...

yea i already tried here but didn't accept my key, what if i download a windows 7 iso from here > https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool and then boot with a usb drive then enter my genuine OEM key is there any reason this would not work? it is either that or buy USB from cyberpower for 20 euros to fresh install windows (which i am willing to do if needed)

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:22 AM

There is a big possibility that will not work but isn't not a big deal to test...

___
Rui

#11 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

Genuine OEM key works always, if You install OEM Windows, if You insatall retail version, OEM key will not work any way and You need retail key. If You uses enterprise, volume, etc version, You must have key for this version.
So, if You downloaded ISO from internet, You got most probably retail version, so you must add ei.cfg file to sourses directory or use retail activation key.

More info: 
or
Google search

Edited by zainmax, 04 April 2017 - 07:03 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

I highly doubt cyberpower would be using a SLP key and SLIC BIOS to pre-activate Windows. In regards to your post #10 #9 using the iso downloader and your key should work.

If the computer boots download Advanced Tokens Manager. Unzip it to your desktop. Press the Activation Backup button. Wait until it says Activation Restore. It will key and activation token. Copy the unzipped folder on the desktop to a flash drive. Use the key that ATM found to install. After install copy the folder from the flash drive to the desktop. Press Activation Restore.

http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/

An OEM key can be used with a Windows 7 retail disk.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-an-oem-licence-key-be-used-to-activate-a/495b4da1-c1b7-4d93-82a9-8c8601bbaf32

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 April 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#13 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

I highly doubt cyberpower would be using a SLP key and SLIC BIOS to pre-activate Windows. In regards to your post #10 #9 using the iso downloader and your key should work.

If the computer boots download Advanced Tokens Manager. Unzip it to your desktop. Press the Activation Backup button. Wait until it says Activation Restore. It will key and activation token. Copy the unzipped folder on the desktop to a flash drive. Use the key that ATM found to install. After install copy the folder from the flash drive to the desktop. Press Activation Restore.

http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/

An OEM key can be used with a Windows 7 retail disk.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-an-oem-licence-key-be-used-to-activate-a/495b4da1-c1b7-4d93-82a9-8c8601bbaf32

i called them and they wanted 20 euros to get a windows 7 on usb, i then asked can't i just put a windows 7 disc in a friend gave me, the tech guy then said it wouldn't work. I really reformat but i dont wanna go through all the steps for my code not to work :(

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:30 PM

You won't know...until you try it.

Louis

#15 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

You won't know...until you try it.

Louis

i just purchased the 20 euro w7 usb key from cyberpower just to be safe, i will wait until then i guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users