Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No action center alerts from Mail app

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

Windows 10 Pro x64, Mail app version 17.8021.42367.0

Starting today, the Mail app no longer automatically receives new email in the background, in any account. No email alerts show in the Action Center. If I leave the Mail running, then emails show up in the Action Center.

Syncing as new items arrive is enabled in all accounts. Alerts and banners from Mail are enabled in Action Center and Mail is enabled in Settings>System>Notifications and Actions and in Settings>Privacy>Email. Notifications and sound alerts are enabled for all accounts in Mail's settings.

Attached File  no mail alerts 04.png   17.52KB   0 downloadsAttached File  no mail alerts 01.png   3.25KB   0 downloadsAttached File  no mail alerts 02.png   17.14KB   0 downloadsAttached File  no mail alerts 03.png   11.74KB   0 downloads

I've been over the settings with a fine tooth comb and have rebooted the machine, to no avail. The only way to get Action Center email alerts is to keep the app running. I'd like to be able to have it work in the background, while closed, as it used to.

Thank you for any help.

What is this Internet you speak of?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

Have you tried a different email client?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

I couldn't find any other email clients that are compatible with dekstop Windows 10 in the store.

As it is, I found a bunch of email awaiting me in my Action Center this morning with no setting changes on my part.

A serverside issue on MS' part, perhaps?

What is this Internet you speak of?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

There are a number of free email clients which are compatible with Windows 10.  Here are a few that I like.

Mozzila Thunderbird

Opera email

Mailbird

eM Client

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

There are a number of free email clients which are compatible with Windows 10.  Here are a few that I like.

Mozzila Thunderbird

Opera email

Mailbird

eM Client

At your suggestion I installed Thunderbird for my gmail accounts. I recently converted from WLM to Win 10 Mail and did not like it mainly because I could not add folders and every time I deleted a message it automatically deleted it from the gmail server which, in turn, deleted messages from my other devices. I reconfigured to POP3 and same thing happened. Actually, I wonder why MS even bothered with Mail. I tried Outlook but got locked out for some unknown reason and can not restore account even though I successfully navigated the verification process and got message saying account was verified. Try to login and get message saying account has been locked. What a joke! MS should get out of the email client business.

Edited by Artbuc, 08 April 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

At your suggestion I installed Thunderbird for my gmail accounts. I recently converted from WLM to Win 10 Mail and did not like it mainly because I could not add folders and every time I deleted a message it automatically deleted it from the gmail server which, in turn, deleted messages from my other devices. Actually, I wonder why MS even bothered with Mail. I tried Outlook but got locked out for some unknown reason and can not restore account even though I successfully navigated the verification process and got message saying account was verified. Try to login and get message saying account has been locked. What a joke! MS should get out of the email client business.

What you describe as far as message deletion is the generally desired behavior and why IMAP has become so popular.  The whole intention of the IMAP architecture is to allow multiple devices that access the same e-mail account to remain in perfect synchronization with one another (at least really close as things only get cleaned up on a given device at its respective sync intervals).

It sounds like you were using POP access before and had set things up such that messages were not removed from the server when downloaded so that they would be downloaded to multiple devices.  Once mail is downloaded via POP the messages are all kept on the device itself, not on the server like IMAP, and you can delete a message from one device and it will remain on all others unless you delete it there as well.  If this is the behavior you're looking for then you need to use POP access, which all e-mail clients I know of support, but those clients will also default to IMAP if a server allows both IMAP and POP access because most people want the "keep all my devices in sync" behavior.

If you still happen to want WLM 2012 it runs just fine as a POP or IMAP e-mail client.  I downloaded the full Microsoft Essentials 2012 Installer when Microsoft announced that they were going to drop active support for WLM 2012 because I work with many blind and visually-impaired clients and many of them strongly prefer this e-mail client.  Just click through on the above supplied link and you can get it zipped in .7z format.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Britechguy. I already used your link to reinstall WLM which allowed me to recover Contacts and folders. Very much appreciate this!! Yes, I like POP3 because we have multiple accounts on multiple devices and we like them to operate independently. Win 10 Mail deletes messages on gmail server even when configured in POP with gmail IMAP disabled. Our iPads and iPhone do not do this. I do not want to go back to WLM because it is no longer supported and have read it is not secure.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

Artbuc,

I would appreciate links to those articles on security issues with WLM 2012.  I am not aware of any that are not also part and parcel of using either POP or IMAP with other clients at the moment.

I know that over time there are certain to be new exploits that will not be patched, but I haven't heard about any "in the wild" yet.

The setting regarding whether or not to delete messages off of the POP server when downloaded is always a part of the e-mail client program, as the server side for POP is nothing more than the last step in a bucket brigade of getting e-mail to a given device.   POP processing is client side while IMAP processing is server side (yes, that's slightly simplified, but it is the essence of it).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

Well then, please tell me where I can find that setting on Win10 Mail to not delete message on server. I will look for security reference re WLM. I believe it was MS themselves in a blurb discussing WLM no longer being supported.

Update. Here it is. Statement actually says WLM does not support newer, more secure protocols used by some email service providers as opposed to saying WLM is not secure:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13785/essentials-2012-release-notes

Edited by Artbuc, 08 April 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

Artbuc,

As far as the announcement from Microsoft, that was pretty much saying WLM will not be updated to support our new, proprietary protocol.  There have been no changes to IMAP or POP protocols for a very long time now.

From what I can find in the Win10 mail app there is no direct access to the setting dictating that messages remain on the server after downloading.  I have tried on the one POP3 account I have (the soon to be defunct Verizon account) and can find nothing that I can get to and have had no luck on the web, either.  Contrast this with the advanced settings related to POP3 from WLM 2012:

POP3_Advanced_WLM2012.jpg

You can definitely specify that messages are to be left on the server and even whether or not they'll be deleted from the server when you purge your "Deleted Items" (AKA Trash on many clients) folder.

It is not a good idea to leave messages on a POP3 server in perpetuity as there are generally limits imposed on the maximum amount of storage space you're allotted. 

#11 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

Right. Thunderbird has almost identical settings to save copies on server plus allows new folders just like WLM.

Are you saying it is perfectly ok to continue with WLM? Now that I have T-bird all set -up, is it ok to use it as opposed to going back to WLM? Thanks again for all of your help.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

This is a personal opinion, so take it for what it is.  I would just go with Thunderbird and forget about WLM, it is another mistake at an attempt on Microsoft's part to produce a decent email client.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

This is a personal opinion, so take it for what it is.  I would just go with Thunderbird and forget about WLM, it is another mistake at an attempt on Microsoft's part to produce a decent email client.

Dan,

I think that ship has sailed and to the destination you propose.

I just think it's ridiculous that the Win10 Mail App does not give you full access to commonly tweaked settings for a given mail protocol.  My purpose in posting that screen shot was not to promote the use of WLM 2012 but to show what any e-mail client that allows for POP3 access should be giving you the ability to tweak.  Every other one I've ever used has.

As you might have guessed by now the Win10 Mail App leaves me utterly unimpressed.  No surprises there!

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

I was only agreeing with you by expressing my own personal opinion.  Since we agree, I believe enough has been said.

#15 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

Wow, dc3's and britechguy's assessment of Win 10 Mail app matches mine exactly. My short and frustrating attempt to use W10 Mail is officially over!

Edited by Artbuc, 08 April 2017 - 03:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users