Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i think i messed up my pc....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:37 PM

Hi i was messing around with my admin user security settings and i noticed 2 entries of unknown account user or something like that located here (they both had special permissions ticked and nothing else) > https://gyazo.com/09807b921b17112dc07f8bf79dc34515

So i googled what they meant and google said it was just stuff used by old users and safe for deletion. However after i deleted these 2 entries i keep getting BSOD and my system restore points all got wiped + my system isn't running the way it was, i am not sure what i done and i am afraid i have totally messed up my pc, in 7 startups my pc has BSOD 5 times and sometimes my antivirus wont auto start and skype etc, i am not sure what i have done and how i can fix this and would greatly appreciate some assistance :(

Edited by ParanoidPablo, 03 April 2017 - 07:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

If you deleted the System and the Adminstrator account - you have seriously damaged the system.

I would suggest:
- that you backup your data immediately (even if it takes slaving the hard drive to another computer to avoid the BSOD's)

- reinstall Windows from a fresh set of installation media (this depends on what your system and version of Windows is)

If you need further information on how to do this:

Please provide us with the make and model of your system (if it's a custom build, please provide the make and model of the motherboard)

Also provide us with the version of Windows that is running on the system (and the version of Windows that it came with)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

I don't think he deleted admin or system account :)

Pablo - First, in the future before you do anything like that you need to be sure you have a disk image to which you can return if necessary. You should start using imaging software immediately.

Second - Run system file checker:

1. Right-click (or press and hold) the Start  button, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/")

Third - if still having problems after sfc, you can try an in-place upgrade (previously known as a "repair install" in earlier versions of Windows:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085

Last, you can always try creating a new user account.

Edited by Allan, 04 April 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#4 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

I don't think he deleted admin or system account :)

Pablo - First, in the future before you do anything like that you need to be sure you have a disk image to which you can return if necessary. You should start using imaging software immediately.

Second - Run system file checker:

1. Right-click (or press and hold) the Start  button, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/")

Third - if still having problems after sfc, you can try an in-place upgrade (previously known as a "repair install" in earlier versions of Windows:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085

Last, you can always try creating a new user account.

Yea i definitely won't be doing anything as stupid as this ever again, i am just confused to why this actually messed with my system, also sorry for the late reply i was up all night stressed out trying to fix my PC :( i will do your steps now.

#5 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

this is like the thing i deleted 2 entries of this Account unknown followed by a long SID https://gyazo.com/31c24f0c2fc69e54c7860b33a7539553 i then tried to system restore, system restore failed twice (i assumed it was bitdefender making it fail) i went to restore a 3rd time after turning it off and all of my system restore points gone i jumped from 32gb to 42gb free space in my c drive also but i just wanna find out what the hell i done to avoid this mess in the future if i need to clean install windows.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

What follows is more generic advice - some of it will apply to your situation, but other parts will just apply to general system situations.

The key here is to not delete stuff :0)

Also, you can ask on the forums if you're uncertain about what's safe/not safe.

If you do want to delete stuff, there are various ways to protect yourself.

Before deleting a file, rename it to something that you'll remember and move it to a place where you will see it.

The problem here is remembering what it was named, and where it came from - but you can write it on a piece of paper or make a Notepad document next to it.

Then, wait a couple of weeks.  If there are not problems and you find you don't need it - then it should be OK to delete.

As for registry entries - you can backup your registry, or you can export the key that you're working on before you change it.

As for other system stuff, you can set a system restore point or you can make an image of your hard drive before making changes.

But, in the end, you have to be prepared to recover from any sort of disaster.

The easiest way is to make system images every so often - and then store them in a safe place.  But this takes a lot of disk space!

Or, you can keep track of what you've installed on your system (I do it in a Notepad document), and then just backup your data.  That way you can reinstall Windows and you have a list of what else you need to install.  Moving the data back into the proper folders is a fairly simple task after all of that is done.

There is a Backup forum here to help discuss more complicated tasks:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

What follows is more generic advice - some of it will apply to your situation, but other parts will just apply to general system situations.

The key here is to not delete stuff :0)

Also, you can ask on the forums if you're uncertain about what's safe/not safe.

If you do want to delete stuff, there are various ways to protect yourself.

Before deleting a file, rename it to something that you'll remember and move it to a place where you will see it.

The problem here is remembering what it was named, and where it came from - but you can write it on a piece of paper or make a Notepad document next to it.

Then, wait a couple of weeks.  If there are not problems and you find you don't need it - then it should be OK to delete.

As for registry entries - you can backup your registry, or you can export the key that you're working on before you change it.

As for other system stuff, you can set a system restore point or you can make an image of your hard drive before making changes.

But, in the end, you have to be prepared to recover from any sort of disaster.

The easiest way is to make system images every so often - and then store them in a safe place.  But this takes a lot of disk space!

Or, you can keep track of what you've installed on your system (I do it in a Notepad document), and then just backup your data.  That way you can reinstall Windows and you have a list of what else you need to install.  Moving the data back into the proper folders is a fairly simple task after all of that is done.

There is a Backup forum here to help discuss more complicated tasks:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

I had multiple system restore points that got deleted after trying to system restore after deleting these entries in my admin/properies/usergroup "unknown user" i thought it would do no harm to remove these entries thinking maybe it was leftovers of a removed trojan years ago or old user accounts, if i knew what i done i could learn from this mistake but i definitely will be more cautious in the future for sure :)

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:28 AM

Nothing stops you (if you're determined) from deleting things that will affect the operations of the OS (such as the ability to find/use your Restore Points).

But, as time goes on, you'll figure these things out and will be more knowledgeable because of it.

This is how I started out - by breaking computers and figuring out how to fix what I broke.

I was lucky to have people around who helped me out.  And that's why I contribute here.- to thank those who helped me (by paying it forward).

Just a quick story.

Back with my last XP system, I made a disk image of a laptop that I owned.

I accidentally deleted the image - and when I found that I needed it, I attempted to recover it.

The recovery was successful (according to the recovery software), but when I tried to restore the image it continually errored out.

I had to resort to a clean install of XP and install all of my programs again (and, of course, my data wasn't recoverable).

Good luck to you!

#9 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:50 AM

Nothing stops you (if you're determined) from deleting things that will affect the operations of the OS (such as the ability to find/use your Restore Points).

But, as time goes on, you'll figure these things out and will be more knowledgeable because of it.

This is how I started out - by breaking computers and figuring out how to fix what I broke.

I was lucky to have people around who helped me out.  And that's why I contribute here.- to thank those who helped me (by paying it forward).

Just a quick story.

Back with my last XP system, I made a disk image of a laptop that I owned.

I accidentally deleted the image - and when I found that I needed it, I attempted to recover it.

The recovery was successful (according to the recovery software), but when I tried to restore the image it continually errored out.

I had to resort to a clean install of XP and install all of my programs again (and, of course, my data wasn't recoverable).

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the response friend :) i feel better for it, and i am really passionate about learning new things from people more knowledgeable than me, that's why this website is a great place for people learning about computer security or just general tech, hopefully in the future i can look back on this as a learning experience and as you are doing now, pay it forward. Have a nice day :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users