Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Copy Pictures To Cd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:39 PM

Hello Everybody,

For some reason I am unable to get windows to copy my photos to a CD. I've done this several times in the past, but for some reason I can't do it anymore.

I'm running XP home with SP 2 installed, and as far as I know all updates have been done. I open my picture folder, click on either a single picture or an entire folder, click copy to CD, then wait until I'm ready to finish up.

Then I plop a CD into the CDRW drive, and click on 'take no action' when that little window opens. Then I click on the little CD icon next to my clock, if it's there, if not I go to My Computer, click on my CDRW drive thingy, and up pops a screen with "Files ready to be written to the CD".

I click on "Write these files to CD", and up pops the CD Writing Wizard. I have tried both naming the CD or accepting the name that the Wizard suggests, and then click 'next'.

Both options produce the same results, which is a nasty note from the Wizard saying;

"Cannot Complete the CD Writing Wizard" ! There was an error in the writing process. The disc you have attempted to write may no longer be usable.

OK, I could understand that if it were only happening on an old disc, or even on a brand new disc once in awhile, however, it is happening on every disc that I put in.

I have a canister of brand spanking new, well actually they're several months old but have never been used, Sony CD-R 700MB disc and I have tried several of them from different spots in the stack, all with the same end result, a nasty note from that Wizard thingy.

Is there anyway that a whole canister of disc could all go bad at the same time?

I'm starting to wonder if that darned Wizard guy might not be sneaking a drink in the back room or something.

Is there anything that I might have inadvertently reset that could be causing this problem? Is there anything that I should check to see if it needs to be reset?

I don't have any problem copying pictures to a 3.5 floppy so what's going on? Has anyone out there ever had this happen to them?

Thanks,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:38 AM

I would try a new batch of cds before I got concerned.

In the meantime, open your device manager and look at the cd burner - see if it says it is functioning properly. Maybe update the drivers just because you're already there.

If there is a red or yellow warning icon on the cd delete the cd burner, reboot, and let Windows find and reinstall it.

Device manager can be accessed by going to your control panel/system/hardware/device manager

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:00 AM

Also, after having a failed burning session (or a coaster as it is called) it best to throw away the cd, reboot the computer and try again. Do not try again without rebooting the computer first.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 05 September 2006 - 07:01 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:36 AM

What version of Roxio are you using?

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:39 AM

Hi Enthusiast, Thanks for the reply. OK I checked out Device manager, and there isn't anything screaming "fix me", no red or yellow anywhere. How could my whole stack of discs just go bad? Those things don't need to be refrigerated do they?

Hi Albert frankenstein, well being as how I didn't have any more CDs handy I haven't yet tossed them out, but I'm about to. I did, however, do the rebooting thing a time or two and kept getting the same results.

Hi Thorxp, I'm not sure where to find what your asking for, or what it is, but I looked in device manager and it says CDWRITER IDE 4816. Is that what you were asking, or should I look somewhere else for that V #?

Thanks,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 moon_walker1949

moon_walker1949

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:06 PM

Just a thought here. I will tell you right off that I dont use the cd wizard to make cd's. I do have a question for you tho. Does the cd wizard ask you for the write speed? If it does does your cd's that you have, have the ability to write that fast? Should say on the cd package cover if you still have it. If by some chance you have lower writing cd's I suggest you try a lower speed to copy. If you try this method, please use a brand new cd. LOL
Posted Image

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

How could my whole stack of discs just go bad? Those things don't need to be refrigerated do they?

They didn't necessarily "go bad", it's just that some burners are particular about what brand/manufacturer of CD they like.
Even the same model of a CD burner could prefer different brands of CDs.
I believe Enthusiast just wants you to try a different brand/manufacturer, to see if that's the problem.

Hi Thorxp, I'm not sure where to find what your asking for, or what it is, ....

Roxio is a CD burning program.
If you use Roxio, in the toolbar click Help and select About.
There, you can find your version number.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

There can also be a bad batch of cds from time to time.

How old is the cd burner? Have you ever used a cleaning kit? That might help.

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:26 PM

Hi Enthusiast, Thanks for the reply.

Well I discovered that the CD's that I was trying to use weren't defective or anything because the guy at the store was able to copy files to one of them. I also discovered that it wasn't just that my PC was being temperamental about the brand by getting a batch of CD's from another manufacture.

I don't have any idea how old the burner is it came with the PC and I got that second hand. I've never used a cleaning kit so that might help.

I just have a nagging feeling that I have messed up and inadvertently reset something without realizing what I was doing. My wizard had stopped working and I finally found that I or someone else had reset something that was keeping it from popping up when I'd put a CD into the burner.

I reset that and now I have my wizard back. Everything works right up to the last step where it says 'copy these files to CD'. So...

Where should I look to see if I have something set wrong that would be causing that to happen?

Thanks,
Wendy

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:31 PM

Hi Wendy:

I'd suggest before doing anything else in relation to this that you wait for the declaration of "clean" from the HJT team. It is vital that you do not install, uninstall, delete, change registry or make other changes to your computer while you are being helped in the HJT forum as this makes it much more difficult for them to help you.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

Hi Orange Blossom,

Not to worry I wasn't going to do anything with it till I get through with the HJT thing I was just responding to Enthusiast so they wouldn't think that I was being a snob or anything.

Thanks,
Wendy

#12 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:12 AM

As a Network Administrator, I have come across this several times in the past couple of months. If you go to 'start' and then 'my computer' and then right click on the drive that is your burner and then left click on properties, you will see some tabs. Go to the tab marker 'recording' and make sure the box is checked that says to allow recording with this device and then cold start (turn off for thirty seconds - not restart) your machine. This should fix this error.

Those discs are fine! I had a client go :thumbsup: with this issue before calling me and he spent A LOT of money on DVD's!

:flowers:

The biggest reason for this has been from having two or more publishing programs (Nero and Roxio) installed and running at start up by default. They seem to battle it out for a month or two, and then one wins the formatting battle by taking over the formatting of your jpegs and gifs (when you look at them in folder view, they will have your publishing software tag instead of the windows tag) and then they move on to the battle for CONTROLLING your DVD/CD burner Drives, which causes it to go a little crazy!!

Hope this helps.

Edited by micaman, 10 January 2007 - 03:21 AM.

#13 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:22 AM

Well to put my two bits worth in I had the same trouble a few months ago with my dvd burner, it died, poor old thing. I would bet that if all the help above has being looked at and implemented the burner is dead. These things happen.
And get a good burning program like nero.
Good Luck.

Edited by Monty007, 10 January 2007 - 03:24 AM.

MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users