Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RTF files blank in Wordpad but fine in Word

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tgcteentech

tgcteentech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

I have a patron who has been working on several large .RTF files in Wordpad, because Microsoft Word no longer functions on her laptop. She has brought these files into the library, because several files are now blank in Wordpad, but will show up just fine in Word 2010 on the library computers. I suspect it has something to do with Word format "styles" since her data is mostly copied from websites, and she said the files were working okay until a recent copy+paste. I told her that we could just clear all the formatting and that should work, but she wants to keep the colors and such, so clearing all formatting is not something she wants to do.

My question is, can we remove those "style" tags (like Heading, Emphasis, Title, etcetera) without removing the formatting?

Or is there maybe something I'm overlooking that'll make the .RTF files work properly again in Wordpad? She's retyping and reformatting everything by hand right now, but she has over 200 pages to get through and any help is appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 03 April 2017 - 10:54 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

From what I see...Word cannot now open RTF files.

Therefore, if the files were edited to be .doc files...Wordpad would not be able to open them.

More Info..

I may have it all wrong, but others here can probably guide you better than I can.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 April 2017 - 10:54 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

You can also have the client download and install a free Office Alternative. Of the three WPS is very compatible with Microsoft Word. 

WPS Office Free

Libre Office   Also offered as a portable version that can be installed on a flash drive.

Softmaker Office Free

It's possible your client saved the file as a .docx and not .doc and also cannot be opened in Wordpad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users