Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 BSOD on Start

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 LegacyHelpMe

LegacyHelpMe

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

I'm having trouble with my Windows 10 system.  It immediately comes on with this BSOD:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.  A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc000000f

Options are:

Enter to Try Again (Does Nothing)
F8 for Startup Settings (Does Nothing)
Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings (Screen goes black and it does nothing)
F9 to use a different operating system.  (I hit this and I get the same screen telling me winload.efi is missing or contains errors, code 0xc0000225)

First thing I tried was using a Win 10 ISO to repair.  I had to set the DVD drive as primary boot.  If I set it as UEFI DVD, it goes to that same screen.  If I set it as DVD w/o the UEFI, it goes to a BSOD after showing the blue Windows logo for a few seconds (small glimmer of hope...)

This BSOD shows stopcode 0xc000021a

That is where I am stuck.  I can't go any further than this.

I have an ABS computer with MSI motherboard, SSD is primary drive.  I can't get past these BSOD.  Apparently I can't even start with a fresh copy of Windows since I can't get past the BSOD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

It sounds as though your hd is dying or dead. Hopefully you have a disc image (backup) you can use when you replace the hd.

#3 LegacyHelpMe

LegacyHelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

It sounds as though your hd is dying or dead. Hopefully you have a disc image (backup) you can use when you replace the hd.

This PC also has a 3TB Toshiba HD on it, in addition to the SSD, so theoretically I should be able to install my OS on that and start over...or so I thought.  When I go into BIOS, there is no option for the HDD under my boot options.  How do I tell my machine to ignore the SSD and just boot from the Windows disk and install the OS on the HDD instead?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

You need to move the cd / dvd drive to the top of your boot order in bios. Then save the change and exit (reboot).

#5 LegacyHelpMe

LegacyHelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

I opened up the case and removed the SSD just to be safe.  After that I changed the BIOS as indicated with the Win 10 CD/DVD in the drive.  I then booted with the CD/DVD and it took me to a blue windows logo.  That sat for approximately 1 minute before the circle started spinning and then:

BSOD - windows.com/stopcode 0xc000021a.  Automatically restarted and the same thing happened again.

Edited by LegacyHelpMe, 03 April 2017 - 09:20 AM.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:25 AM

I suggest you disable Driver Signature Enforcement, which will disable Windows's Kernel Mode Code Signing (KMCS) policy. That may allow you to boot. KMCS, a security feature introduced in Windows Vista, is designed to protect core kernel mode components by requiring everything running in kernel mode (such as device drivers) to be digitally signed with a certificate issued by one of the major certificate authorities.

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

1) Is it an original, retail Windows dvd/cd?

2) Try either putting the SSD back in the case or move the hdd to the slot / connectors previously occupied by the ssd.

#8 LegacyHelpMe

LegacyHelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

I suggest you disable Driver Signature Enforcement, which will disable Windows's Kernel Mode Code Signing (KMCS) policy. That may allow you to boot. KMCS, a security feature introduced in Windows Vista, is designed to protect core kernel mode components by requiring everything running in kernel mode (such as device drivers) to be digitally signed with a certificate issued by one of the major certificate authorities.

Regards,

bwv848

Unfortunately I can't get into Windows to do that at the moment.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

You don't need to. Can you enter the Recovery Environment Command Prompt? If so enter the following command:

bcdedit /set testsigning on

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#10 LegacyHelpMe

LegacyHelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

1) Is it an original, retail Windows dvd/cd?

2) Try either putting the SSD back in the case or move the hdd to the slot / connectors previously occupied by the ssd.

It isn't the retail one, but I downloaded the Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and burned it using another computer.

I've tried putting it back in and switching the connectors with no avail.

I'm trying a Motherboard Battery reset now just to see if that will help...

#11 LegacyHelpMe

LegacyHelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:47 AM

You don't need to. Can you enter the Recovery Environment Command Prompt? If so enter the following command:

bcdedit /set testsigning on

The only thing that will load right now is BIOS.  Nothing else.  It goes straight BSOD if I try to boot from the hard drive and goes BSOD if I try to boot from the CD Drive once it gets to the Win logo.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

Regards,

bwv848

Just a question if I may. Assuming (and admittedly I'm assuming this) the system worked fine previously and no new hardware was added, what will disabling Driver Signature Enforcement accomplish? I'm not questioning your suggestion, just asking.

#13 LegacyHelpMe

LegacyHelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

Resetting the MOBO battery did not help.  It really seems like it is trying to get to the point of reinstalling Windows when it hits the Windows Logo but after the circle spins for a 20-30 seconds, it goes to the BSOD with stopcode 0xc000021a

#14 LegacyHelpMe

LegacyHelpMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

Currently loading the ISO onto a USB to see if that can help, just in case there's some error with the CD/DVD.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Also, while I don't think ram is the problem let's check and make sure: download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users