Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC slow/freezes, CPU overheating - is it dying?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 draper3

draper3

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hi. My PC is just over 5 years old (spec at bottom of post) and it's used mostly for internet and watching films etc (ie no gaming). During the last month I've noticed programs/applications have taken much longer to open than normal, and in the last few days my PC has usually frozen whenever I've tried to open a program in addition to browser (eg a media player).

According to all 3 of Speccy, HWMonitor and Speedfan, the CPU has regularly been overheating recently (ie average temp over 80 deg C / 175 deg F). Most recent min and max temp/fan speed readings in HWMonitor are as follows (currently only have browser open to avoid freezing/crashing):

Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard:  

SYSTIN 30-31 deg C
CPUTIN 43-54 deg C
AUXTIN 50-53 deg C
TMPIN3 37-51 deg C

SYSFANIN 653-1404 RPM
CPUFANIN 2626-61785 RPM
AUXFANIN1 936-2036 RPM

Intel Core i5 2500K Processor 3.30 GHz (No Overclocking)

Core #0 35-48 deg C
Core #2 35-48 deg C
Core #4 36-50 deg C
Core #6 36-49 deg C

I've brushed/wiped away most of the dust from the heat sink and fans (there wasn't that much anyway) but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. The PC tower is in well ventilated position away from any walls.

Any advice as to what to do next would be much appreciated.

Spec:

Chillblast Fusion Neptune   
Xigmatek Asgard Black Case   
Intel Core i5 2500K Processor 3.30 GHz (No Overclocking)   
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler   
Generic thermal paste   
Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard   
8GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)   
Integrated Intel Graphics   
1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk   
Sony 24x DVD-RW Drive   
Xigmatek Premium Grade 500W PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

The specs listed here gives the value for the maximum temperature as 72.6o C but this is for the value known as Tcase.  Core temperatures will be quite a lot higher than this as this is the maximum permitted temperature at the outside of the CPU's casing.

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

Judging by the temperatures you quote - which appear to be 'core' temperatures - you do not have anything to worry about in this regard.

However it would probably be worth your while to renew the heatsink compound. Remove the fan/heatsink assembly from the CPU and carefully and thoroughly remove all the old compound. Iso-propyl alchohol and soft tissue paper is good for this. Then apply a thin even coat to one of the two surfaces and replace the fan/heatsink assembly. The actual brand of heatsink compound you use is considerably less important than the fact that it is applied properly - a thin and even coating.

Since this computer is five years old it would be worth your while to run Ccleaner to get rid of temporary files if you don't do this already. Ccleaner is available as a free download from BC. Just don't use the included registry cleaner tool.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 draper3

draper3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for reply. I'm just average user and posted temp numbers without understanding them, in the hope they'd be relevant. When you say nothing to worry about, do you mean PC unlikely to need replacing?

I run CCleaner, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware at least once a week, as well as McAfee virus scan (McAfee free with ISP).

From searching online I'd read replacing thermal paste was one thing to try, but was hoping there might be something else I could try first that didn't involve messing around with insides of PC tower (something I've never done before). But guess I'll have to do that now, one way or another.

Is it best not to use Speccy? Reason I ask is because since I posted original question the PC has been running OK with no overheating - even able to watch films on NOW TV app. But I just tried opening Speccy and PC froze again - and via Google I found following:

Don't use Piriform Speccy!
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/dont-use-piriform-speccy.353721/

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

Did you read the complete topic you posted?  Did you note the dates of those posts?

There are many posts similar to that one...made everyday...by those who are less-than-knowledgeable...and who, perhaps, like to garner unearned attention, if only for the moment.

I tend to go with the conclusions drawn by those seemingly "in the know" when viewing such on the sometimes garbage can that the Internet is.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users