Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Loop on Vista - Upgrading to 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adammg

adammg

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:21 AM

I have a friends malware riddled computer that they wanted data recovered from, but its stuck in a boot loop. The laptop works fine in safe mode, I was able to recover all the data and it would stay on for as long as I wanted. I went to install Windows 7 from a new disc the CD Rom won't boot, works in safe mode though. So I made a bootable flash drive of Windows 7, it works just doesn't stay on long enough before restarting. Same goes for other programs I've tried to use to reformat the drive Darik Boot and Nuke, Knopixx Linux and  nothing will stay on long enough outside of safe mode to run. I've also tried from safe mode disabling all startup items in MSconfig along with disabling all services, cleaning with malware bytes, antisuperspyware, ect. I haven't touched the hardware inside yet.

Any ideas on where to go from here that's free or very cheap, don't want to put a lot of money into this laptop being so old. Its just going to be used for Office and browsing.

Edited by adammg, 03 April 2017 - 12:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:26 AM

Changes to Msconfig / Services may be your problem , either Reset them back to what they were.

OR:

Take the Drive out and format it from another PC , either internal PC / external Usb Powered Ide Sata Adapter.

On the Laptop , reset the Bios to Default.

Then set the first Boot to Cdrom.

Refit the Drive and try again with the Win 7 Disc to install.

Dont forget to tap any key , when asked to Boot From CD  { at the Bios Screen Prompt }.

Edited by Havachat, 03 April 2017 - 02:27 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,634 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:56 AM

When you say the cd won't boot, I have two questions:

1) Is the disc an original retail version of Windows?

2) Is the optical drive the first device in the bios boot order?

#4 adammg

adammg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:04 PM

Sorry, I haven't posted back in awhile, I ordered a USB to SATA adapter and went on vacation. Just got back, I was able to use the adapter to format the HDD without any problems also checked the drive and its in good health. Reset BIOS to default, installed the HDD back and tried the Windows disc (Yes its an  new genuine OEM Disc) again still wouldn't boot off CD-ROM (Yes I changed the boot order to boot off it first). Next I tried bootable USB I made, booted to the setup screen and power cuts out like before (Boot loop? but there's no OS). What I checked next was the power adapter, checked the RAM in different configurations, booting with battery and no battery nothing changed. I'm figuring its a short somewhere I don't know. 

I'm stumped why it would stay booted into Safe Mode long as I wanted, but won't boot normally without cutting off within a minute.

#5 MZiggy

MZiggy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

Have you tried using EasyBCD or another boot-fixing program? EasyBCD has saved me from BSOD and boot loops numerous times and since you can get on with safe mode, I'd say it may be a decent next step forward.

Edit: After rereading your post, my post isn't as relevant as I thought - but if you do decide to just keep Vista on there for now, I believe EasyBCD may still be of use to you.

Edited by MZiggy, 17 April 2017 - 03:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users