Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use a Surveillance HDD as General Storage Device

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:46 PM

Hi there fellas,

I have got a 1 TB surveillance HDD which I am not using for surveillance purposes (It is replaced with a 4 TB now).

Now my question is

"Can I use the 1 TB surveillance HDD as a external portable HDD purely for storage of old pictures and videos?"

Will there be any dis-advantages? This 1 TB HDD has no other significant usage in surveillance way as of now expect for keeping aside; I just wanted to  keep the HDD in usage. 

Any suggestions and critiques are welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:55 PM

Can I assume this 1 TB surveillance HDD has similar platter-drive/spindles/pcb construction as the 4TB HDD?  If so, as far as I can see, you are doing a very good and cool thing!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:06 AM

Should`nt be an issue , just format the drive and use as an external Backup for your Data etc.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:40 AM

Google Says...

Louis

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

Google Says...   Louis

The article warns against using a normal HD for surveillance purposes; using a surveillance HD in a normal computer wasn't mentioned -- unless I missed that part.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

Roland,

I think that was the point with regard to the Google search results.  There seems to be not a single warning against using a surveillance drive like you would a regular backup drive, but there are many warnings that using a regular drive for the purpose of surveillance will likely lead to early failure.

The green light is on, and bright, as far as using a drive designed for surveillance purposes as a regular backup drive.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

Britechguy, if the thread starter uses a surveillance HD as a computer backup HD, I'll bet he won't posting any time soon about a HD failure -- those are tough HDs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users