Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Pictures and Documents

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

Greetings; Re: O/S Windows 7 Pro

I did a wipe of my hard drive a couple of months ago. Prior to executing that, I transferred pictures and documents to a couple of USB devices. I decided that when I wanted to get them back on my computer, I would be selective and download what I wanted and delete what I don't. My first and subsequent attempts failed to get any back on the computer. When I click on a subject, I get this pop up that Adobe Acrobat reader DC could not ope n because it's not a supported file or file has been damaged, etc. This is one of those areas where I need help. Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

How were these files originally copied or moved from hard-drive to usb flash drives?  You might consider usb or dvd booting a Puppy Linux and use its file manager to see if that will copy off your files...I'm going to recommend using a pancake-sized, platter-driven, usb external hard-drive for now...onto external media.  I hope you can get your data files back!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

I simply sent them to the USB devlice from my computer.  95 percent of them are pictures and when I started the process of viewing them to decide which to keep, the very first one resulted in getting that pop up I described. What I did next was to hit the delete and that provided me with a thumbnail sized pic of what it was and I was able to go down the list and delete what I wanted to but I still could not open it up any of those I kept without getting that pop up.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:18 AM

Sounds like if they are pictures , the file association is corrupt or youve tried to open them with Acrobat , and now it may be the Default.

Try right clicking the Pictures and select " Open With " and select " Windows Photo Viewer ". to see if that works.

You can enable File Extensions , to see what they actually are.

Open Explorer

Tools

Folder Options

View

And " Uncheck " Hide extensions for known file types.

Then see what the Extensions are on those Files you saved.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Thanks Havachat, I've been a user of Irfanview for so long, I forgot about the Windows Photo Viewer.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

I understand that when these things are downloaded originally, there is a program/s installed on the computer that supported the download. So I remembered that at the time a lot of them were downloaded, I had and still have Kodak Easy Share Digital Camera as a program. Although I have been using the camera and downloading photos from it, I did not have the software installed as a program so I downloaded the software and was able to recover and open all of those pics that are part of the program. Now if I can only remember what other programs I had installed at the time the other photos and documents were downloaded I'll be home free. 

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

If the file extensions of the remaining files are unique and proprietary, perhaps you can Google those remaining file extensions and have Google cough up what program will read and write to such.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

Havachat already posted the easy way to correct your situation.  What is the file extension of these graphics/photos?

Louis

#9 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

I tried Havachat suggestion and it doesn't present the option "open with". I can view all of them with "preview" but I cannot open them with "open". Will you elaborate on "file extension of these graphics/photos since I am not often running into these problems and my expertise is limited.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:04 PM

Give me the full name of a troubling file, please.  Right-click on said file and tell us what options are presented in the new menu.

Louis

#11 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:40 PM

OK. When I access a list of pictures I right click the first item (a photo) on the list and I get a box that includes; Open,  Open in New Window, Scan w/Microsoft Security Essentials, Share with, Send to, Cut, Copy, Create Shortcut, Delete, Rename and Properties. Now if I right click on Open on that list, I get; Read, Set as Desktop Background, Edit, Print Preview, Rotate CW, Rotate CCW, Scan w/ Microsoft Security Essentials, Open With, Send To, Cut, Copy, Create Shortcut, Delete, Rename, & Properties.

#12 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:43 PM

Too, I must add. When I first access the list and right click the next page includes only the first item from the list of pictures, nothing else is on the page and when I click open, I get the second box as i described previously. 

#13 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:59 AM

So on your list i see above   "Open With"  as you said ,  Now if I right click on Open on that list, I get; .....  .....  .....   ......"Open With"

So click that - whats the Result ? ....Do you get a Choice of programs to try ?

If so try " Windows Photo Viewer " { Make sure you Uncheck - Always Use The Selected Program to Open this kind of File.}

Otherwise as i stated prev - 

Open Explorer

Tools

Folder Options

View

And " Uncheck " Hide extensions for known file types.

Then see what the Extensions are on those Files you have.

Until you know that ? Then you cant open them , unless you now what Program they are associated to.

Programs like Irfanview / Acdsee , when installed , would be able to view multitudes of various photo file types.

Edited by Havachat, 04 April 2017 - 03:59 AM.

#14 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:28 AM

Have you tried right clicking an image & choosing Properties ?

screenshot_393.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#15 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

OK, when I clicked on "open with" and clicked on photo viewer it worked. Problem Solved. Thank You Gentlemen. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users