Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why do cable companies advertise there cable service on there own service?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

I've always found this very annoying but why do cable companies advertise there cable service on there own cable service?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

Because they buy time with a network that then resells the programs with ads built in. So you're watching a program thats shown everywhere, and on all services and over the air with an ad for your cable service in it. But it's also being seen at that very moment on a competing service provider carrying the same program in your region.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:55 PM

Maybe your buddy is over to watch the game. He has a different cable provider.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,035 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

Because they buy time with a network that then resells the programs with ads built in. So you're watching a program thats shown everywhere, and on all services and over the air with an ad for your cable service in it. But it's also being seen at that very moment on a competing service provider carrying the same program in your region.

Not always the case sometimes these ads interrupt other ads just for they can promote there own service.

Maybe your buddy is over to watch the game. He has a different cable provider.

Good point.

But either way I find annoying.

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

So those who have already made a poor decision to get caught up in the rip off cable world will make even more poor decisions to spend even more money on the rip off cable company services.

Not me.  :nono:

I left the rip off cable trap years ago without regrets.

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,035 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

So those who have already made a poor decision to get caught up in the rip off cable world will make even more poor decisions to spend even more money on the rip off cable company services.

Not me.  :nono:

I left the rip off cable trap years ago without regrets.

I hear you The-Toolman I left cable but came back temporally because they offered me a deal for cable plus Internet for a reduced price. And I missed Adult Swim & Toonami, but currently I'm looking a suitable replacement for cable. Playstation Vue looks pretty good and I've heard Hulu and YouTube are planning there own live TV service.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 08 April 2017 - 07:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users