Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Restart When I Plug In My Microphone!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gibbon

gibbon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hi there,
I'm hoping one of you may be able to help. My problem just started happening today and this is what happens:
I plug in my microphone and a blue screen pops up too fast to read and the comp restarts, then tells me that it has recovered from a serious error.
So far i have stopped the auto-restart and this is the info it gives me on the blue screen:
technical information: stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF295DE9B, 0xB8A4D6E0, 0x00000000)
RtkHDAud.sys - Address F295DE9B base at F2574000, DateStamp 43c76f29

The fact that it is always when i plug my microphone in, and that it says something in there about realtek audio software which is what runs my mic makes me think that the soundcard, audio software or the microphone are the prob. I dont think it is the mic as i have tried with another mic which works well for a friend but still gives me the crash and reboot on mine. Please let me know what you think, any info is most appreciated,
Regards.

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 04 September 2006 - 11:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:00 AM

Hi gibbon.
As you're aware, "RtkHDAud.sys" is the Realtek HD Audio Driver.
If you haven't re-installed it yet then definetly do so.
If you need help with that we'll need to know your OS and audio chipset\hardware config.
If you are using Win 2K or newer and have one of the on-board audio chipsets listed, the latest version can be downloaded here.
Do not install them if they do not apply.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:34 AM

Stop messages that contain 0x0000008E (0x8E for short) can have many causes, but the most common cause is bad RAM.

TROUBLESHOOTING
If your computer has two sticks of RAM in it, then remove one and see if the problems persist. If they do, switch pieces and test again.

ALTERNATIVE
You can run the memory tester from Microsoft. It is free and available for download HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 gibbon

gibbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:40 AM

Thank you albert frankenstein and hitsquad for your replies. It did not turn out to be the RAM, and a simple reinstalling of the realtek drivers worked well.
Thanks for the help again you two.
Gibbon

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

You're welcome gibbon.
Thanks for letting us know how you came out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users