Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Drive 8+tb

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Magilou

Magilou

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

Hello Guys,

I have a question about what to purchase as a potential Backup drive

I need something of 8+tb

I was looking these drives:

IronWolf PRO from Seagate

WD Red from Western Digital

He10 OR Ha10 OR He12 from HGST

Also I would need probably a dock station or an external USB2/3 box to use it

My plan is to use this drive as a backup drive for all my files (which are already in a backup drive) but for more reliability I would like to add another very big drive

I've been very happy with a 6tb RED from WD but maybe the other solutions could be more efficient/reliable

I have Windows 7 so no 4kn drives (luckily all the drives I lsited comes with 512e version/compatibility

I have also read something about HE and HA from HGST where the HA works only in sequential reading/writing which I didn't fully understood what they mean

Anyway do You have some suggestions? I live in Italy and pretty much any of those drives are available (except maybe the 12tb from HGST but I should check better)

Any of You has any better suggestion or solution for a very reliable backup?

I need as minimum of 8tb, that's why I am looking for 8+, possibly 10, 12is pretty much mandatory since the only 12tb I know is made by HGST

Also do You rcommend an external box or a dock? A box I can keep the drive inside, with the dock I could easily swap and backup on multiple drives one after another

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2017 - 01:33 PM.
Moved from System Building to External Harddware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

You are quite thorough!  The only thing I can think of is:  are you planning to not leave the backup drives connected to the computer when not actively, manually, making backups?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Magilou

Magilou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

You are quite thorough!  The only thing I can think of is:  are you planning to not leave the backup drives connected to the computer when not actively, manually, making backups?

Correct, the drive will be disconnected everytime, I don't update the files often so everytime I would like to disconnect it and probably I would re-connect it after 2-4 weeks, so yeah I would like to disconnect

Manual backups only, I will personally copy-paste all the new files/folders since the drives are quite well organized so it's matter of few minutes to check everything :)

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:43 PM

If your data is a money-maker and of course important, consider doing rotating [2-3 levels deep] backups once weekly on the average.  In other words, in three weeks, you have three different sets of your data  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 02 April 2017 - 10:46 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:18 AM

If the question is mainly about reliability of drives then Backblaze (a cloud backup and storage provider) have done a fair amount of testing and AFAIK seem to be one of the few sources of meaningful reliability data.  2016 Failure report here.  They don't seem to have anything over 8 Tb (I think they've stated in the past they just buy whatever offers the best price/Tb ratio available in the quantities they need, and larger drives don't fit that at present).

Some interesting highlights (to me) are: Seagate seem to have improved reliability in some of their larger drives. After some extremely dodgy past results (the 3 Tb ST3000DM001 and some of the 1.5 Tb an 2 Tb drives in particular) some of these newer ones look encouraging. The WD60-EFRX drive (6 Tb Red series) seems to be failing at a slightly above average rate.

Bear in mind, they are using them in a fairly intensive environment (spinning 24/7) quite different from the occasional use scenario.  They have commented on the Seagate Archive series, but found them unsuitable for their purposes.  They may be worth looking at for your purposes.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Magilou

Magilou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

If your data is a money-maker and of course important, consider doing rotating [2-3 levels deep] backups once weekly on the average.  In other words, in three weeks, you have three different sets of your data   :)

Is not at that level but my data are quite important for me and some of my family members, of course I have some work stuffs too but they don't require that much space, less than 1tb, but of course I would like to keep safe everything aside those data

#7 Magilou

Magilou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

If the question is mainly about reliability of drives then Backblaze (a cloud backup and storage provider) have done a fair amount of testing and AFAIK seem to be one of the few sources of meaningful reliability data.  2016 Failure report here.  They don't seem to have anything over 8 Tb (I think they've stated in the past they just buy whatever offers the best price/Tb ratio available in the quantities they need, and larger drives don't fit that at present).

Some interesting highlights (to me) are: Seagate seem to have improved reliability in some of their larger drives. After some extremely dodgy past results (the 3 Tb ST3000DM001 and some of the 1.5 Tb an 2 Tb drives in particular) some of these newer ones look encouraging. The WD60-EFRX drive (6 Tb Red series) seems to be failing at a slightly above average rate.

Bear in mind, they are using them in a fairly intensive environment (spinning 24/7) quite different from the occasional use scenario.  They have commented on the Seagate Archive series, but found them unsuitable for their purposes.  They may be worth looking at for your purposes.

Yeah I know that website, very reliable source but so far they have no/few infos about 8+tb drives, that's why I was asking if some of You has any experience with 8+tb drives and, in any case, if someone could suggest me a very high quality dock/external box for a 8+tb drive

The dock can be just a single slot one, it's more than enough for me

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

I just picked up a second Drobo 5N and loaded it up with five 8TB Seagate drives.  The 8TB drives came from external drives, like Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB External Desktop Hard Drive Storage.  It is cheaper to purchase the external drives and pull them, than to buy the drive inside by itself.  Unfortunately you can't pick the exact drive you will get, but for $40 or so less per drive I can live with that.  I have another Drobo 5N loaded with smaller, 3TB to 5TB drives.

I'm using SyncBackFree to back up my main machine to one unit.  It identifies the drive by the network share, i.e. \\Drobo5n\Public, so malware that encrypts by drive letters won't see it, unless of course you also map to it.

Additionally I use Carbonite for my off site back up.

The Drobo 5N has been replaced with the Drobo 5N2, so you may see deals on the original Drobo 5N.  I picked mine up for $350.

Either a solution such as the Drobo or the Seagate Backup Plus Hub would work for you.  You don't mention how much you're willing to spend on the project.

Edited by Kilroy, 10 April 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#9 Magilou

Magilou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:18 PM

I just picked up a second Drobo 5N and loaded it up with three 8TB Seagate drives and a couple of much smaller drives.  The 8TB drives came from external drives, like Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB External Desktop Hard Drive Storage.  It is cheaper to purchase the external drives and pull them, than to buy the drive inside by itself.  Unfortunately you can't pick the exact drive you will get, but for $40 or so less per drive I can live with that.

I'm using SyncBackFree to back up my main machine to one unit.  It identifies the drive by the network share, i.e. \\Drobo5n\Public, so malware that encrypts by drive letters won't see it, unless of course you also map to it.

Additionally I use Carbonite for my off site back up.

The Drobo 5N has been replaced with the Drobo 5N2, so you may see deals on the original Drobo 5N.  I picked mine up for $350.

Either a solution such as the Drobo or the Seagate Backup Plus Hub would work for you.  You don't mention how much you're willing to spend on the project.

I don't need anything fancy, just a need a dock with 1 slot for 3,5 2,5 drives, that's all, and that is reliable, no fancy softwares of stuffs, everything will be done manually by myself (folders, files etc etc)

The drives to be hones I'd like to choose my own one because I would not like to end up with a Barracuda while in example I would like an IronWolf PRO (which seems a very reliable series after they renowed their whole platform and strategy)

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

When you start moving drives around reliability numbers don't mean as much.

I'd recommend an enclosure over a dock.  A dock is great to quickly add a drive where you need to pull data, but long term use an enclosure is recommended.

Remember even though the drive is sold as 8TB once you format it you will end up with about 7.5TB.

I'd suggest taking a look at SyncBackFree.  One of the main benefits of using software over doing it yourself is that SyncBackFree will back up only things that have changed.

#11 Magilou

Magilou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

When you start moving drives around reliability numbers don't mean as much.

I'd recommend an enclosure over a dock.  A dock is great to quickly add a drive where you need to pull data, but long term use an enclosure is recommended.

Remember even though the drive is sold as 8TB once you format it you will end up with about 7.5TB.

I'd suggest taking a look at SyncBackFree.  One of the main benefits of using software over doing it yourself is that SyncBackFree will back up only things that have changed.

Why You think a box is better? and if that's the case which box I could buy and then put an 8+tb drive inside? usb2/3

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

A box is better because the drive is protected.  USB3 and you want one that will work with 3.5" drives.

Docks are for short term use.

#13 Magilou

Magilou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

A box is better because the drive is protected.  USB3 and you want one that will work with 3.5" drives.

Docks are for short term use.

Cool man, than can You suggest me a nice quality box? I mean I guess the PCb inside must be good quality etc :)

Can You help me with something like that? Possibly external power AC

#14 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

Any 3.5" box will most likely be externally powered.  It is hard to make a recommendation since you're outside of the US.

I don't own any of these and am going by the reviews Rosewill RX-358 or ORICO Toolfree USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Disk Drive Enclosure Case.  Of the two I like the Rosewill better because it is metal and has a fan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users