Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File that's there, but not

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

I have a very strange situation on my Win 7 laptop computer.  I saved some files, which went to a file labeled TK2PP4YP(I was not given a choice in where to save these).  File path as shown in the Save window is: (username)/App Data/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/Content IE5/TK2PP4YP. 

When I went to move the files from this location to another location on the computer that I use for working files, I could not find the Content IE5 folder, or the TK2... folder, either in looking directly in Temporary Internet Files, or by searching the entire drive (since this is on a laptop with no externals attached, there is only one drive to search).

I did a bit of research, and went to both Control Panel and Internet Options and changed what folders are displayed to show everything (including system files).  Still no sign of the files when looking directly in Temp Int Files or with full drive search.

Went back to original file and hit "Save" again -- the TK2 folder popped up showing the two files I'd saved there.  At this point, I used the arrow to select the Content IE5 folder, and found several dozen folders.  Going up another level to Temporary Internet Files yielded only the message "No items match your search" which I thought was strange, since I was saving, not searching.  Going up yet another level to Windows shows no Temporary Internet Files folder.  Yet, if I go to Windows Explorer or My Computer, I find the Temporary Internet Files folder under Windows, but it has no Content IE5 folder.   

I looked in both my personal and business User identities, but found no TK2 folder in either one.  How can this file show up in one place, but not in the other? 

Thank you in advance for any clues anyone can offer for how to find the missing folders!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-see-content-ie5-in-temporary-internet-files.31205/

I have to wonder why you are trying to save files which are temporary Internet files?  Normal browser settings should result in such being deleted routinely, not saved.

If you are running anything other than IE5 (which is impossible on any Windows 7 install), the IE5 content folder is of no importance, even if it exists.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 April 2017 - 07:19 AM.

#3 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

I am not trying to save temporary internet files.  This is where the files I am saving (which happen to be .PDF files for an online class I am taking) are saved by default.  Interestingly, if I were saving them as text files, I think, they'd be saved elsewhere, but I prefer to save the original .PDF files.  I've never had this be an issue before -- I've saved .PDFs on my desktop before with no issues whatsoever, and it's set up exactly like my laptop (Win 7 based).  But I want the files on my laptop so that I can use them with the online class when I travel. 

It is my understanding that Win 7 used Content IE5 for things from later versions of IE.  I use Internet Explorer 11 as my browser, and overall, have been reasonably happy with it.  This is the first time I've had an issue of this sort with either my desktop or laptop, both of which have Win 7 OS and IE 11 as default browser. 

I guess my questions are: 1) Why does Microsoft (via IE11) have these files saving to a location where they are unavailable in the first place?  I wouldn't be saving them if I didn't want or need them to be accessible.  2) Why would I not be given a choice as to where .PDF files are saved?  These are not "secret files" of any sort; they are class materials used by many people.  3) Why would they show up when I am in the "Save" window (as if I were about to save yet another file), but not when I go to retrieve them through normal means like Windows Explorer or My Computer?  Again, I've used .PDF files many, many times on my desktop computer, and have always been able to access them easily through Windows Explorer or My Computer. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

I can't answer your questions.

I save .pdf files all the time and I've never saved them to any location other than the ones I normally use (Desktop, Downloads, etc.).

I don't know why you are not getting normal download options with your browser.

Have you tried downloading via a different browser?  IE could be corrupt/damaged.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 April 2017 - 10:59 AM.

#5 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

Thank you for your suggestions, Louis.  I hadn't thought to try to use Chrome browser to save these -- I have it on my desktop, but I don't think I even loaded it on my laptop -- will have to, as it easily translates the occasional website that's in German -- have occasion to visit Burda sewing site that is only available in Deutsch (of which I have no knowledge outside of what I learned from watching movies or from my husband, who learned a little when he was in Germany  courtesy of Uncle Sam). 

Perhaps next step is to inquire on the Microsoft forums -- looked there initially, and got tips for getting all the files and folders to display, but not much other guidance.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

The simple thing to do...is find out if it's a situation limited to IE first.  If it is, then I would simply reset IE to default settings.  If not, then I would suspect malware of some sort.

Louis

#7 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:46 PM

Thanks; I'll try it with Chrome, once I get it loaded.  I'm pretty confident that we don't have a malware situation, as every computer in this household has antimalware software that's been kept updated, but these days, who knows?!!!  In any case, will be curious to know if it works from Chrome.  Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users