Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bing has replaced Google as default search engine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:55 PM

Worse, I can't get Google back. I went to the magifying glass icon and clicked on google as my default search engine to no avail. I have even deleted bing from my search engine choices but when I go directly to google and put in a search string, it comes up with Bing. I really hate this as I like Google and hate Bing. I also hate the way Yahoo often because the default search engine after a microsoft update.

I'm going to reboot my computer and see what Happens but I'm annoyed about this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

I assume you are using IE if you mentioned the magnifying glass. Click the gear icon under the Close button and select Manage Addons. Click Search Providers in the left pane. Make sure Google is moved to the top of the list and set it as default. Delete all other search engines you do not want including Bing. 

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:58 PM

I was using Firefox. Being I have a Geek Squad membership, i had called them about this and they had fixed the issue. I'm sending the technician's response in case anyone else runs into this. I had noticed a whole page of this issue when I had done a search (I had to do it on Bing at the time because I couldn't get Google search to load) for this issue. It appears that something is going on with this and it is affecting a number of people.

Here was the technician's response:

Troubleshooting: Resolution of issues, including install and uninstall, crashing and errors.
Verification of functionality.
Software: Firefox
= Additional Notes: I found that the issue was caused by addons so we removed them and tested to
make sure it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users