Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to easily fix "Connection Reset" error problem!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amaccalman

amaccalman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

Hello!

My name is Amy I know how you can fix "Connection Reset" error problems EASILY.

I have been getting the same "This site cannot be reached connection was reset" error page for weeks!

The web page I was getting this error for was my own website I'm working on - I was literally ready to throw my laptop out of the window...honestly I actually almost did.

I have read so many posts, threads and forums in the last 4 weeks about how to fix  "This site cannot be reached connection was reset" No matter how crazy technical (I'm not tech savvy at all btw) they where nothing was working. I tried installing, refreshing, disabling, deleting all sorts of things from anti virus ware, proxy settings, google settings, windows tools. I tried EVERYTHING.

But last night I finally fixed this hellish nasty error page problem!! Thanks to a thread post on Bleeping Computer. I am so happy and I want to share this so that others can simply fix it easily instead of suffering for weeks like me. 

Follow the steps below to fix your problem:

1) Download the 'Opera' web browser and open it. If you have this installed simply open up the browser.

2) Open the 'Opera' menu...clearly marked "Menu" in the top left hand corner.

3)Click on New private window or Ctrl + Shift + N.

4) In this New private window you have just opened you will see a small 'VPN' in the top left hand corner, just at the start of where you type the web address - Click on it.

5) Click on Enable - by doing so you will automatically be connected to the best proxy server available, based on you location.

Well done...your "Connection Reset" problem should no longer exist!

Opera web browsing is free and safe. Its the only free web browsing platform that provides this service. Pretty Great.

Regards to the person who posted the original answer that fixed my problem - Crooks11! Well done!

Edited by hamluis, 02 April 2017 - 06:14 PM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to Tips/Tricks - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

I see that you're happy to get on the internet and yes it can be annoying. However, your fix is not really a good fix. You're using a completely 'John Doe' socks5 proxy server that any hacker advertising spam company could spin up just waiting for someone like you. You jumped from the frying pan to the fire. There are known malicious malware out there that can hijack the browser proxy settings via the registry. Changing the settings in the browser to turn off proxy will just remain ticked on. The solution is to edit the registry and delete the to culprit strings causing this. However, they may return as you likely have the Virus Malware still on the system that will change it back. So you need to go to the "Am I Infected" forum thread and post your issue there. They will have you run some diagnostic scanning tools to determine if you're system is safe and clean.

Once the virus is removed you go to RUN or Search window and type regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings

On the right-hand side you find and select ProxyEnable (REG_DWORD) and right-click it and choose modify and change it's value to 0.

Next, you select ProxyServer (REG_DZ) right-click and delete it.

Close all the files and close the registry.

Edited by technonymous, 02 April 2017 - 07:57 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users