Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This is Nonsense

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WuZiheng

WuZiheng

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

I registered so I can reply to a post and hopefully help someone, but instead I have to come here first. This is utter nonsense.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Welcome to BC !

But there is no obligation on any new member to post here. I am curious, where did you get that impression  ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#3 WuZiheng

WuZiheng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:11 AM

Welcome to BC !

But there is no obligation on any new member to post here. I am curious, where did you get that impression  ?

Chris Cosgrove

I registered here to reply to someone's post asking for information regarding a HitmanPro scan. I also had the same results and was looking to A) Reply to his post, B) Post my own details.

I tried several times to reply to his post, but it kept telling me I didn't have permissions. Then, on the next page it said I had to go to Introductions, after I came here and posted, it allowed me to post my own thread.

Maybe it was coincidental, maybe I'm mistken. Anyhow, thank you for the welcome.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,890 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

Actually, it's anything but nonsense.

I hadn't known that BleepingComputer was doing this, and perhaps it's new, but requiring new registrants to make an initial post to the "new members" forum, no matter what it's called, is one of the best spam traps I've ever seen.

Several other forums I use instituted this rule, and for precisely this purpose, several years ago and spam of all sorts has dropped to very nearly zero.  It's an easy way to determine that a new registrant is (most likely, anyway) a human being.  Spambots don't respond to requests to post to an introductions forum in my experience.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,212 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

I registered here to reply to someone's post asking for information regarding a HitmanPro scan.

I tried several times to reply to his post, but it kept telling me I didn't have permissions..

Was this topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum? If so, please note from the top of the page:

"Only members of the Malware Response Team or Moderators are allowed to help people with logs."

This is to prevent untrained helpers from helping people with their logs.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

#6 WuZiheng

WuZiheng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

Both are very valid points. 

And thank you for the warm welcome. I hope to be around for some time. 

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

AL1000 has made a very valid point about assistance in the 'Virus, trojan, etc. logs' Section and if you have malware expertise then I suggest you apply for the malware training that BC runs.

Certainly, when I joined BC, there was no requirement to post in 'Introductions' and it is always possible that I have not noticed some change in the forum rules. However, regularly there are new topics started in the OS sections by posters with only one post to their credit so they cannot have posted here first. I admit I don't know.

A good suggestion that Brian.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

When I first found this site after PCWorld closed their forums to all but subscribers.  I was delighted to find the many user guides and FAQ areas.  I have directed many clients to the site in the hopes of heading off a few trivial faults. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users