Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing recent files created in win 10

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gman9

gman9

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

I recently ran into an issue with windows 10 that is preventing me from logging in. When I get to the welcome screen there is no sign in box and only have ease of use, network connections, and power buttons in the lower right.  From the windows recovery environment I've tried all of the troubleshooting options except resetting and wiping my files.  Each fail for various reasons.  I also tried this command Sfc  /Scannow   /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\   /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows and it worked successfully but I still can't get past the win 10 welcome screen.  I also cannot access the PC from safe mode because it rejects the admin password.  I can login to win 7 but when I did, I noticed all of files created in win 10 have disappeared. For clarity I made the switch to win 10 early in 2014.  Any file created since then is missing.  I think the files are hidden somewhere because the used space on my hard drive has remained the same. I've also tried EaseUS undelete program and even the deep scan feature couldnt find the files.  I've tried Microsoft's support and they think I'm messing around with them. I've had some local support take a look who were initially very confident they could repair win 10 and find the missing files but failed.  They are very perplexed and repeatedly said what is happening is impossible and simply can't happen.
They've completing given up on the login issue but believe there should at least be some kind of trace of files created but there is nothing. One suggested that I try another recovery program, Recuva, which I have running right now. 

I don't want to completely wipe my hd and do a clean win 10 install if there is still a hope that I can recover the files.  The file formats run the gambit of spreadsheets to pictures. 

I'm running a computer that a friend put together for me and I dont have the exact specs.  I know it has an asus mother board, samsung ssd that win 10 was installed on, wd 500gb hd that originally had a win 7 install, geforce graphic card.

I dont think the issue is hardware related because when I get to win 7 everything runs fine. 

Any suggestions to get into win 10 or find the missing files would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:41 AM

From your post I am assuming Windows 7 and 10 are on different drives.

In Windows 7 are you saying all files in Windows 10 are gone or only some.

Open Disk Managment. How is the drive listed for Windows 10?

Are you logging into Windows 10 using a local account or do you sign in using a Microsoft Account?

You may be able to pull the files using a live linux disk. 

#3 alexoler

alexoler

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

Try opening up disk manager (either by the start menu or via the run box)And see if you still have a windows 10 partition

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

Windows 10 originally rolled out from Microsoft to the very first group of insiders in October of 2014, so you couldn't have updated to Windows 10 in early 2014.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 gman9

gman9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

Sorry for the confusion, yes win 7 is on c: and win 10 was installed on d:.  I'm not sure what you meant by listed but can send you a screenshot.

I believe I'm logging into the win 10 command prompt with the live account which is the same as the local account.  I only have one account on this computer.

I tried using ubuntu to search for the files but couldnt find what I was looking for.  The drive with windows 10 was mounted and I couldnt access it.  This was my first experience with ubuntu and don't know my way around well.

I may have my dates off.  The files that I'm looking for are from 2016 and 2017.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

What I meant by list in Disk Management was to post if the drive was healthy. Open Disk Management and use the snipping tool to grab a screenshot of the window. You can select  More Reply Options next to post and attach the jpg file. Your Windows 10 disk should read as healthy. 

If Ubuntu was able to mount the disk but you could not find your files then perhaps they are corrupted. You would find your files in the USERS directory. In Ubuntu you should see drive icons in Unity Launcher. Click on each drive icon until you see your USERS directory on the Windows 10 disk. The reason you could not access it is because the file system is corrupted or because of the Windows 10 hybrid shutdown but it should still have allowed read only access even with the hybrid fast startup option enabled. When you said the drive was mounted but you could not access it do you mean you were able to see the folders on the Windows 10 disk?

You cannot use a Windows login account in Safe Mode. You can only login using a local account. 

#7 gman9

gman9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

Yes D: where win 10 is appears to be healthy.

I was able to load ubuntu and access c: but was not allowed to access d:  I dont remember the exact wording but I took it to mean that windows 10 was still mounted that's why I wasn't allowed to access it.  

I only have one account on this computer and safe mode would not accept the password for it.  I also dont have the option to switch to another user account. I have been able to access the command prompt though and do have to log in for that.

Attached Files

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

Windows 10 should not have been mounted. It's possible the hibernation file is causing the problem. I am not sure what else to try. Can you access the Windows 10 recovery options to enter a command prompt? If you have access to the command prompt then at the command prompt do remove the hibernation file and do a full system shutdown by typing

powercfg.exe -h off
shutdown -s

Then boot the Ubuntu disk and see if you can access the Windows 10 disk. I am not positive the above command will work in a recovery option command prompt.

Edit: Is this the error you get in Ubuntu?

mount-error-450x228.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 April 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#9 techforusnews

techforusnews

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:23 AM

I recently ran into an issue with windows 10 that is preventing me from logging in. When I get to the welcome screen there is no sign in box and only have ease of use, network connections, and power buttons in the lower right.  From the windows recovery environment I've tried all of the troubleshooting options except resetting and wiping my files.  Each fail for various reasons.  I also tried this command Sfc  /Scannow   /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\   /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows and it worked successfully but I still can't get past the win 10 welcome screen.  I also cannot access the PC from safe mode because it rejects the admin password.  I can login to win 7 but when I did, I noticed all of files created in win 10 have disappeared. For clarity I made the switch to win 10 early in 2014.  Any file created since then is missing.  I think the files are hidden somewhere because the used space on my hard drive has remained the same. I've also tried EaseUS undelete program and even the deep scan feature couldnt find the files.  I've tried Microsoft's support and they think I'm messing around with them. I've had some local support take a look who were initially very confident they could repair win 10 and find the missing files but failed.  They are very perplexed and repeatedly said what is happening is impossible and simply can't happen.
They've completing given up on the login issue but believe there should at least be some kind of trace of files created but there is nothing. One suggested that I try another recovery program, Recuva, which I have running right now. 

I don't want to completely wipe my hd and do a clean win 10 install if there is still a hope that I can recover the files.  The file formats run the gambit of spreadsheets to pictures. 

I'm running a computer that a friend put together for me and I dont have the exact specs.  I know it has an asus mother board, samsung ssd that win 10 was installed on, wd 500gb hd that originally had a win 7 install, geforce graphic card.

I dont think the issue is hardware related because when I get to win 7 everything runs fine. 

Any suggestions to get into win 10 or find the missing files would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend booting into Safe Mode and run sfc /scannow command to find and repair/replace corrupted/missing system files. Here are several ways you can use to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10.

https://win10tips.net/windows-10-safe-mode/

As I remember when booting into Safe Mode, it didn't ask for any password. If you don't remember your password, this video will help you to reset it:

Also, if you have a bootable USB flash drive or better, a Recovery drive, boot from it and select Startup Repair. It will help you resolve this issue.

#10 gman9

gman9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

Ok, I've made some progress and was able to get into wini 10. However it is shaky at best. I'm also now able to access safemode. Neither allows me access to my documents, the folder isnt available. I've tried everything search and can't find any of the files moved somewhere else.

Any suggestions?

To get into windows I used the suggestion of changing utilman to cmd. Instead of changing password I used msconfig. There I noticed a logon process was not started. I checked the box, rebooted and the password box was available. I was not able to change users but could login with my live account info.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

Running sfc /scannow is a good suggestion whether it is run in normal mode or Safe Mode.  If you wish to run it in Safe Mode do the following.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type msconfig in the Run box and click/tap OK.  This will open System Configuration.

Click/tap on the Boot tab, then click/tap on Safe boot.

Click/tap on Apply, the OK.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

You will need to open the Command Prompt to run the sfc /scannow.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.  This will open the Command Prompt.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

You will see an image similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click/tap on this to open the log, copy and paste it in your topic.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Edited by dc3, 04 April 2017 - 09:37 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 gman9

gman9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but I've run sfc /scannow multiple times and it has not found anything wrong. I think I have the srt log files that failed.  Would those be helpful?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

If you have the SrtTrail.txt log yes, please post that.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 gman9

gman9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

Attached is the Srt file. I hope this helps

Attached Files

#15 gman9

gman9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

It looks like my only course of action is a clean install.  Any other recommendations to find the missing files before I proceed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users