Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

I've got windows 10 Pro on my 2nd desktop, I'm still addicted to Windows 7, I've been trying to get the auto updates working but I'm getting lost.(Basically I'm w10 illiterate) W10 was installed in May 16 and has not to my knowledge had any updates since then. I've looked on the net and tried various fixes but I'm still stuck. I don't have the "Settings" menu mentioned on various forums, I have the normal control panel.
I got as far as running the repair updates wizard but it just came back with "Windows 10 update components must be repaired" No other helpful hints on how to repair!
So basically I'm stuck.
If anyone can help could you make any suggestions in laymans terms, ie step by step.

Regards

Dave
modify_inline.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

First, try:  

That may fix the issues that are preventing automatic updating, as that should have been happening all along.  

If that doesn't work then be sure to back up all your user data before continuing.

The next thing I'd try, given that you say you don't have settings showing up, is to do a Windows/Cortana search on Settings, which should return the Windows Settings trusted store app (which is what's pre-installed on your machine, or should be unless the installation is corrupt), opening it and using the Reset option in Updates & Security settings, Recovery Pane, and using the "keep my files" option.  If that comes back saying it can't reset your PC I'd try it again but using the "wipe and fresh install" option instead.

If both Reset styles fail, then go to the Windows 10 Download Page and trying the Update Now button.  If that doesn't work then use the Media Creation Tool from the Win10 Download Page to either download the Win10 ISO then burn it to optical media or have it create a bootable USB drive directly then use your Win10 bootable media to reinstall Windows 10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

What about my windows 10 registration will that still be preserved?

many thanks for you reply

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

Windows 10 is registered and licensed based on the actual serial number (I think, but whatever number it is it is unique) of your motherboard, so once a machine has been licensed for Windows 10 that is maintained on Microsoft's servers and it is perpetually licensed.  This is true even if you remove Windows 10 and wish to reinstall it at a later date.

If the machine has already been licensed I don't think you're even asked for a license key.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

Many thanks

Will try more settings etc tomorrow

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic