Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Upgrading An Old Desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ragus2964

Ragus2964

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:26 AM

Hi.

I am a gamer that is inexperienced in the field of computer building and upgrading, in the sense that I can recognize components and have a basic idea of what role they play in the computer, but I have never actually cracked open a case and fiddled with them.

In terms of games, I mainly use it to play Warframe, which it runs at around 30-40 fps most of the time on the lowest possible graphics settings. However, the reason why I want to upgrade is that in situations where there is high enemy density or loads of particle effects it can turn into a 2-7 fps chugfest.

My bogan-kit-bash-potato-toaster of a computer has served me loyally for (around) 4 and a bit years now. But now I think it's time it got a little love.

Here is a list of the components CPU-Z is telling me I have installed in my desktop:

Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P23 (FX)

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 255

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

RAM: Not quite sure, I know that it's DDR3, manufactured by Patriot Memory, and has a DRAM frequency of ~432 MHz.

And what I can deduce upon cursory examination:

Case: Don't really know either, it's a dark red plastic box with what appears to be very ripened vomit stains around the base. The cooling fans sometimes aren't enough on particularly hot days (~30-38 degrees celsius), and the computer will blackscreen, with the back of the case hot to the touch, although I think that this could be easily prevented by simply moving the computer to a place that would enable more airflow.

I have a (flexible) budget of ~$450 AUD.

What is, in your opinion, the most cost-efficient way to squeeze some extra performance out of this?

I would prefer solutions that did not require procedures that would be considered too complex for a beginner. Judging from what little I know, I think that the motherboard is quite restrictive of my upgrade options, but I've heard that changing it is complicated and I've sort of been scared away. Although, I am willing to face my (unfounded?) fears and change the motherboard if it means I can beef it up for cheaper.

If anything was too vague or I stuffed up on something, please tell me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

Power supply? Picture from case? How much memory you have?

With low budget, getting better CPU like FX-6300 and better GPU like Radeon RX 460 (and perhaps better PSU) would give huge boost.

#3 Ragus2964

Ragus2964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:32 PM

I've taken a dive into the case.

The power supply is 450W.

I also found some random fan inside there that was plugged in, but it wasn't fixed onto anything. I have absolutely no idea why.

My first thought was that I could bolt it to the case's built-in fan-holder thingy, but it was way too big to fit onto it. So I just rested it on the graphics card and hoped it would stay there.

I guess that explains the mysterious rattling sound I always heard when I was hauling it around to LAN parties.

Here are some photos:

Front of the case

(I had to link the images because I just chose the first image host I found, and apparently it's not compatible with the image linking, so that's nice)

I didn't bother examining the RAM further, partially because I'm told that it's easily damaged, but mainly because I gather that it's a lower priority when it comes to performance than the processor and the GPU and so there's no real reason to have to touch it.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:33 AM

Technically, that motherboard can use FX-based CPU's, though, the chipset on the board wasn't really designed for them. FX processors will still work, but not all of the power saving features will be enabled.  I would go for the FX-8320E, FX-8300, FX-8370E, or FX-8310 but you may need to update your motherboard's BIOS before doing any upgrade to these CPU's.  A list of compatible processors can be found at MSI's website.

RAM is not that easily damaged. You should have 8GB or more of it, assuming you're using a 64-bit operating system.

You'll need to replace that GPU with something a bit more modern, like an AMD RX 480. This GPU should be able to handle most games without issue.  However, you will need to replace the power supply with at least a 550W model.

3939.png

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:51 AM

Fan looks like little dusty, other parts as well.

For parts:

- HDD is OK
- SSD is OK
- Motherboard is OK
- PSU is crap quality
- Case is very small and you can get much better at around 25 dollars (not sure about AUD conversion rate, so that's USD)

So new parts would be case, PSU, video card, CPU and CPU cooler.

PSU and case selection is virtually endless. CPU new FX-6300 or used Phenom II X4. GPU something like Radeon RX 460. CPU cooler may be stock but I recommend better.

Any ideas where you can buy parts so I can see what's available in that shop?

On above post are better (and more expensive) choices for CPU and GPU. They are also OK.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 03 April 2017 - 05:52 AM.

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

If you have a flexible budget, then consider a better upgrade, this is an Intel but I'm sure if you wait until AMD comes out with the Ryzen 5 series quad core cpu's you can probably get a better deal, but today they only offer the Ryzen 8 core cpu$

This is about $500 and later you can upgrade the case and GPU

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130944&ignorebbr=1

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117564

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K64285617

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

A new set up might be better than upgrading something that's just going to get older and further behind. Have patience and see what you can get with the Ryzen 5 series when it arrives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users