Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

on install of clean copy of Windows 10 acting like I've a keylogger/malware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Trouble156

Trouble156

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:17 AM

Not sure how to describe this.  I installed a clean copy of windows 10 (i.e. not doing an upgrade or keeping old files; ssd was formatted from scratch).  I've a MSI z170a motherboard and the ethernet driver is on a cd (along witha  whole bunch of other software). Since I'd already done a post test on the mobo, I decided to just plug everything in to the case and then that way it would be just a matter of loading the drivers and software (rather than having  to constantly move the case, unplug things, plug them back in, etc.).  

Anyway, because the motherboard's ethernet driver is not loaded, I shouldn't have been able to get online and yet the second my computer kicked on, my router kicked on.  I checked the drivers and there were some intel drivers loaded so I thought maybe Windows 10 comes with some generic network drivers.  But then I tried to set up my router and it wouldn't let me set up my ip address and kept saying that the website (the cd that came with my router) was corrupted.  

Windows Defender, of course, has found nothing.  I have spybot S&D and Norton's 360 as well but they are also coming up empty after i've been able to get them to download.  However, there are some obvious glitches when I try to get both of them to update; so I'm not sure if either are actually able to do what they're intended to do.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 02 April 2017 - 03:56 PM.
Moved from Win 10 support to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

If you haven't used the driver CD which came with the motherboard I would suggest installing your drivers and then see what is happening.

If you can't set up the connection from the computer through the router I don't see how you could have been online unless you are using a Ethernet cable to connect directly to the modem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Trouble156

Trouble156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

If you haven't used the driver CD which came with the motherboard I would suggest installing your drivers and then see what is happening.

If you can't set up the connection from the computer through the router I don't see how you could have been online unless you are using a Ethernet cable to connect directly to the modem.

I did eventually use the CD (after I posted to this forum).  Still don't know what caused the issue. Ended up calling the internet provider and had them fix the default gateway (which was messed up) and then called Mcrosoft because of an error with Bitlocker being off.  Neither Microsoft or internet provider could figure out what the issue was that would cause the problem but seems to be working fine now.....  crossing fingers that it stays that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users