Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many host files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

I use W7. My system takes up to 4 minutes to boot up. in Task Manager, under processes, there are a whole LOT of svchost, dlhost, taskhost and localhost (etc) entries. I'm the only user of my PC, but I only see these host files when I authorize Task Manager to show processes for ALL users. So are other people "using" my system?

I know at least one host file is mandatory, but these are outrageous. Moreover, many of them are using memory that has 6-7 digits, which is suspicious in itself.  My CPU runs at 1% most of the time. It's possible they're using high-digit ports. I thought I saw that while digging around, but forgot where.

I've installed System Explorer. It says  all these host files are safe. Maybe they're all using a host file that is a system file which is safe, but attaching registry entries to them that may not be. My registry cleaner is very safe - it only finds empty keys and missing files, etc. I miss  the one I had for W98SW, which explained the problems it found and the security level involved, but left it to me to choose.I could also return entries incorrectly deleted. I'd like another like that one.

I also feel very certain that many of these host files are NOT beneficial, and are likely slowing my system down.

But how can I cull the baddies from the goodies?

Thanks,

Holly B.

Edited by hamluis, 06 April 2017 - 04:12 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html

What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running the How-To Geek - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

Louis

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

You may have picked up some malware or adware. But first check to see what is in Startups and Tasks.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Post the three lists mentioned below using CCleaner.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

At the bottom right of that page you will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste the list of Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks into your next

post. Please do that.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Uninstall. On that page you will see a list of programs installed on your computer and at the bottom right of that page you

will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste that list in your next post. Please do that.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

As for CCleaner, I won't dare use it again.  Last time, it erased ALL of my videos. I don't know how. I thought I was only deleting stuff that I'd seen and approved of. While the fault was probably mine, it's because I needed to be more geeky than I was.

I'm not saying it's a bad program. But it is one which, through ignorance in the user, can end up doing harmful things. In my view, it should only be used by professional people. Which I'm not.

I am looking into the links given by Louis.

There's no question my system is littered with bad stuff. Some of it I can see for myself. Like the black background that is around the desktop. It's a place where you can't put a cursor. But something changes it to Royal Blue, and sheds a filmy blue all across my entire desktop no matter what I'm doing. It comes on and off at random, but sticks around more now than it used to. I still have a remnant of a green "wash" that was obnoxious, but later settled down and now appears only in PC games.

Something else flashes a very small popup window (upper left) just as my system starts to log off. It can't be legitimate.

And there's more, but these are two things I KNOW are baddies, and that I \KNOW no scanner will find.

And there's a lot more.

Right here, I'm just trying to speed up my system by getting rid of dozens of "host" files that could be logging my PC in to other people I don't know. Bootup takes 3-5 minutes. And the system is so busy when I use it that loading pages gets outrageously slow, and I sometimes lose my connection altogether.

#5 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

Try running Malwarebytes. I use it as my daily anti virus, and it works good.

Run the scan and quarantine and delete anything listed as bad.

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM.

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#6 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:44 PM

Thanks, but I already have Malwarebytes. It's a good program, but all it ever finds are PUPs.

The only REALLY good malware program is Clamwin. It's a GNU, and it REALLY finds things, whereas no other scanner does. Where AVG, Avast, Malwarebytes found nothing, Clamwin found 54 baddies, including trojans.

The two biggies load down the system with files geared to pushing you into buying stuff, and then you can't uninstall most of it. Never do that again.

I guess most of those host files are probably innocent. Thanks.

#7 Phemus

Phemus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

Download Revo Uninstaller and uninstall CCleaner with registry keys then install CCleaner back and clear your computer.

After that that's normal to see many svchost if you have a connection to network.

Also please go Start > Run > msconfig and go to Startup part then untick programs that you aren't using, but be careful what you're doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users