Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parallel Instal Of Xp Help Need

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bsodh8tr

bsodh8tr

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:17 PM

alright guys, i have a long and lengthy story to tell but i will abridge it as well as i can. a few nights ago, there were power surges around my house and that is when ( i think) the problem started. the next day, when ever i turned on my system, it would immediatley go bsod on me and it had a code that was something like: stop:0x0000002 etc. as of now, i have tried starting safe mode and all of that and it didnt wor, so i have now removed the hard drive, used an external usb hard drive carse to connect it to my laptop, and the laptop can read it. now comes the interesting roblem. whenever i click on the hard drive in "my computer" and after about a minute of nothingness, i get a popup saying that i cant open or read the hd cus the directory is corrupted or unreadable. it looks pretty bleak right now... is there any kind of backdoor or something i can use to extract my important files ? this hard drive has files, and documents in it that could cost me and my company thousands of dollars if lost. at the moment, i am borderline suicidal, and i really need some help fixxing my comp, or at the very least, getting at my documents, and also about a thousand dollards worth of i tunes songs :thumbsup:
so, uh if u cud help it would be greatl appreciated! tks in advanced

ps, after posting this, i checked the admins request to be specific in title and other things, and i realized i broke most of his requests, just in case i upset any1 by doing so, i am sorry

Edited by bsodh8tr, 04 September 2006 - 09:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

You said you could access it when you connected it to the laptop as an external drive.

Backup the data!

Once you have accomplished that, reinstall it back in the original computer and try to boot it.
If/when that isn't successful see if you can boot into safe mode with command prompt.

If you can:
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

If the above is not possible try booting to safe mode and choosing "Last Known Good Configuration".

One of the two fixes above should be successful, but if not we can try a repair install of XP.

Do you have a Windows XP installation cd and if so, is it Sp2? Is the installation of XP on your computer updated to or did it come with SP2?

#3 bsodh8tr

bsodh8tr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:41 PM

my dad was talking to someone, i dont know who, probably one of his microsoft techno geek friends, and found out that he can save a few files by doing a parallel install. at first my whole family was like "hooray" but then i realised were all too retarded to know how to perform a parallel install, let alone know hat it is help would, once again be very appreciated

#4 bsodh8tr

bsodh8tr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

yes we have a cd, and yes it has sp2, i am yet too try your solution as of yet though

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:45 PM

Let us know.

There are other possibilities now because you have the cd such as using the repair console or doing a repair install.

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 September 2006 - 09:46 PM.

#6 bsodh8tr

bsodh8tr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

alright, my dad just called one of his microsoft techno geek friends and he said to parallel install (whatever that means) and that would give me acess to my hard drinve

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:47 PM

When you say "parallel" install do you mean "dual boot"?

What is it that you need to accomplish?

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 September 2006 - 09:47 PM.

#8 bsodh8tr

bsodh8tr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:48 PM

do u think that would help, and if it would, how might i go about accomplishing this near impossible sounding task? please and many thanks

#9 bsodh8tr

bsodh8tr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:51 PM

i need to be able save the data on the drive and still be able to reinstal the operating system without deleting files. we have dug into the hard drive's data and found that the operating sytem is what is corrupt

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:51 PM

He is probably talking about a dual boot system installing another copy of XP to a new folder.

You will find the directions for doing that here:
Install Windows XP to a new folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941

I suggest trying the other fixes first, but this is also available.

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 September 2006 - 09:52 PM.

#11 bsodh8tr

bsodh8tr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:52 PM

i need to be able save the data on the drive and still be able to reinstal the operating system without deleting files. we have dug into the hard drive's data and found that the operating sytem is what is corrupt. is that dual booting?

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

We have two threads going - lets pick one (the other one)

#13 bsodh8tr

bsodh8tr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

allright, i just printed out the instructions. we will try them out, and i will get back to you as soon as i can with the (hopefully positive) results.

#14 bsodh8tr

bsodh8tr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:56 PM

kk, other one it is

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members