Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 resa83

resa83

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

Is there a simple fix to enhance my WiFi signal for my Android? Using neighbors WiFi, landlord has given me the password and permission to use. However it's so slow it's not worth my time. I bought a WiFi booster but I had to connect it to A PC etc. Therefore I gave it away. Any help would be appreciated. I absolutely have no contact with the router, that's out of the question

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

There is no simple answer to this question, really.

WiFi signals are degraded by all sorts of obstructions between the wireless router and your device.  Sometimes moving either the router or the device, and just a few inches, can make a world of difference.

If you have any way that you can arrange to have the wireless router (or its external antennae if it has them) moved about slightly as you stay in the same spot with your device that can tell you quite a bit sometimes.  If the router is, for instance, tucked in a corner where there are a lot of metal bits used in joining the building together these can serve as signal shields and a slight move can make a big difference.  The same thing is true if a modem-router is located below ground in someone's basement.  Just moving it above ground somewhere in the house can create a huge difference in signal strength.

This is a trial and error proposition and I've had to go through it with a number of clients.  Sometimes we could even avoid having to look at a signal booster just because we relocated the wireless access point to where it could broadcast a stronger signal to the devices that connected to it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 resa83

resa83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

So there's no hardware or anything I can purchase that will boost the signal I'm now receiving?

Again, I can't personally access the router and I'm not sure if she knows the landlord has given us or anybody else her password... So I can't ask her to move her router...

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

Not that I'm accusing you of anything, but the landlord has no right to give out anything related to a wireless access point that he does not own and pay for.

I used to have a small shop with an apartments above it and I helped the owner of said building set up wireless access for their tenants.  They paid for the service and owned the modem-router, so that was theirs to do with as they pleased.

Something about this arrangement, as described, is now making me intensely uncomfortable.

If the modem-router is his and he has the right to give you the password then you should take it up with him or her about experimenting with alternate positioning.  Even if you get a signal booster it doesn't really do any good if the connection between it and the wireless access point is crappy.  Boosting a bad signal gets you a strong signal to a weak connection.  The idea behind boosters is to get them positioned "at the end of the strong range" to the access point and have them act like a "bucket brigade" in repeating that signal further and acting as the intermediary back to the wireless access point.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 resa83

resa83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

Sorry I never replied back. I just wanted to straighten something out.... The landlord owns all the property where the wifi signal comes from including the router. He pays that cable/internet bill. I no longer need help with that wifi issue. The people moved and landlord changed passwords. Thanks for the help you gave me back when I had the issue.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,975 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:32 PM

You're welcome.  Glad to hear that the issue has been resolve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users