Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Windows Explorer Opening Picture Files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wandlingon

wandlingon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:26 PM

Hi !

Windows explorer is very slow opening folders containing jpeg pictures. I have tried using all the different folder views, thumbnail, list, detail. Explorer works quick when opening any other type folder without pictures. I am using windows xp home, 3 gig processor, 960 meg of ram. The picture files in my folders are in - my documents/my pictures/ folders. the file sizes are approx 1.5 mb files, 30 to 200 files per folder.
they start showing up in random places in the view window and they take 30 sec to 1 minute to fill screen. when i try to scroll down the window seem to freeze up for 30-45 sec or completely closes the explorer window all together.
i have ran mcafee virus scan and spyware doctor and they both turned up no problems. Any thing you could suggest to help isolate any possible issues would be appreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

To open Computer Management, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

You must be recognized as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer and on the computer you are managing to perform this task.

For best performance, set the initial size to not less than the recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system.

Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory. (like graphics intensive aps - IE picture files with 200 pics)

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:09 AM

When was the last time you defragged your hard drive?
You did not indicate the number of files and folders in My Pictures, but if it is a large number, moving some of them to disk or another hard drive/partitition may resolve your problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:57 AM

With all them pictures it's natural for it to take a while to render them (my 3.0 gHz P4, 2 gB RAM and 10,000 rpm SATA drives still takes a long while for this). Performance tweaks will speed this up - but the system has to go get each file, read the file, convert it to a thumbnail, then post it up on the page you're looking at.

Here's my favorite performance tweak: Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click on the Advanced tab, then on the Performance Settings button. Then click on the Adjust for best performance radio button. Click Apply, then click OK to get out of the dialog.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 wandlingon

wandlingon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

I have tried all suggestion in previous replies and have had no improvement, I have also found that I can not resize any of my photos
using the "resize picture" when I right click. Any other suggestions.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:11 AM

As I recall, the resize picture in the context menu is an option that's installed by using one of the XP Power Toys. Have you done very much tweaking with this system? If so you may have to revert all tweaks to default in order to troubleshoot this issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 wandlingon

wandlingon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

I haven't done many tweaks, but i'll try reversing what i have done thanks

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

YOu might consider using some picture filing/organising/editing application such as Picasa2 (free from Google). I have found using this to be much faster than loading thumbnails in My Pictures, and it will load them from other areas and drives as well (around 70K thumbs in hundreds of folders).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 vrte

vrte

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:00 PM

thanks for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users