Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

u.s.b. will not eject

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 murrayhawk

murrayhawk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

Hi I'm Murrayhawk

I'm  new  to Bleeping computer. I am having trouble with my usb stick when i try to remove it from my computer it will not let me eject it. Telling me to close any programs that are using the usb stick. i have tried the Ctrl. Alt. Del. and their is no programs using it. Please can you help!!! Murrayhawk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

There may be monitoring software that is preventing the drive from ejecting. See this BC thread on using Process Monitor to track down the problem program preventing an eject.

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:10 PM

I'm no expert with Windows stuff, since I haven't run it for almost 3 years, but I believe it might have something to do with your drive settings:-

@JohnC_21:-

John, if my memory serves me right, isn't there something in the settings that allows you to choose whether the USB drive is caching or not? I seem to recall it makes a difference as to what actually happens when you click the 'Safely Remove Hardware' button in the system tray.

Something to do with 'Optimizing for Quick Removal', or something like that, yes? Mind you, I could be barking up the wrong tree, here.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 April 2017 - 05:15 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:00 AM

Mike, you can optimize the drive for quick removal. This disables write caching on the drive.. Even if there is a warning you can still pull the drive without having an issue.

This Seagate page explains the setting and other solutions. The OP didn't specify the OS but if it works for Windows 7 I can't see it not working for 8 or 10.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/ka030000000tiGyAAI?language=en-ie

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

Windows has been set up for a long time to have write caching turned off for USB devices by default.

Provided you know that nothing is actively writing to a given USB storage device at a given moment you can yank it without ejecting it.  I have been doing this for decades now with no ill effects.  This, of course, presumes that no one has tweaked the write caching to be on.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 murrayhawk

murrayhawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

Mike, you can optimize the drive for quick removal. This disables write caching on the drive.. Even if there is a warning you can still pull the drive without having an issue.

This Seagate page explains the setting and other solutions. The OP didn't specify the OS but if it works for Windows 7 I can't see it not working for 8 or 10.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/ka030000000tiGyAAI?language=en-ie

Thank you for the advice on the link that you posted on the forum. That has answered my question on the seagate page that explains the setting on step 5. It is save to remove the usb stick  without clicking on the safely remove icon. I would like to thank u all for the help!!! that u have given me/ Murrayhawk :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users