Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build resetting under heavy GPU load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 redchris

redchris

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:36 AM

Hello. As the title says, i finished a new build which posted ok, i installed Windows 10 and updated all drivers. All was looking great. Until that is, I did some load testing of the GPU. Using both Afterburner and Furmark results in a system reset.
Components are: I5 6500, Gigabyte H17-D3HP, MSI GTX1070 Armour OC, Corsair CX650M 80+ bronze

Now, reading posts written by folks with the same problem suggest issue is most likely to be PSU, but of course it could be anything. Question is, how can i pinpoint without swapping out PSU and GPU as i don't have that luxury. Temps seem fine: GPU 65 Deg, CPU 40 ish. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

The Furmark tests are incredibly stressful (think of them almost as unrealistic 125% load conditions), so, is possible the issue is the video card or the power supply, or, even the mainboard being partially unable able to supply the GPU with it's up to 75 watts of power input required from the PCI-e slot... (You might be able to lower the GPUs core/mem clocks, reducing the power load partially, which would still only tell you again it's one of the above, unfortunately...)

Truthfully, you could spend lots of money and time trying to fix this, and there is no easy solution except to have another very similar rig that passes Furmark's load/stress test, and, start some swapping with known good parts.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 redchris

redchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:01 AM

Thanks for the reply. So there is nothing I can do other than replace components and see if it solves the problem? Will running Furmark using onboard graphics help me? Is there any way of monitoring power supply to the GPU which might highlight power drop causing reset? Is it worth reseating components or would it be the case that poor fitting would result in pc simply not working?

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

Assuming everything is unplugged/ disconnected from wall, reseating won't hurt anything; you can try running the GPU from an alternate external supplemental power input from PSU, as well...

If all your games play fine at all settings, you will have to decide how much effort to expend on 'repairing' a 'won't pass extreme Furmark load test' issue, but, I suspect there where be no quick/easy fix for this...; if I recall correctly, the Furmark tests loaded a system moreso than any game ever could, causing the GPU to draw pretty much it's max hypothetical power draw, which could expose a GPU/mainboard/PSU that will work at 95% capacity all day long, but betray that one of the components is not up to 100% load capabilities)

(Certainly, a known good PSU of sufficient wattage *known to pass Furmark load tests with similar/greater loads applied* would be helpful, and, likely easier/cheaper than acquiring another GPU...; if your GPU works with Furmark in another system, that would also be telling us  the GPU seems fine in a known good mainboard with a known good PSU....)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users