Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drive stopped communicating with laptop

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 joezapp

joezapp

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:11 AM

Hi. Last summer I had noticed on a Sunday that my flash drive took a few more seconds than usual to load. On Monday, it took even longer. I said to myself, "I'd better make a copy soon". On Tuesday, it took even longer. On Wednesday, it wouldn't load. Of course, I didn't act on my warnings soon enough. After repeated attempts and an exhaustive internet search (and this will be helpful news to others with the same issue), I located a web page where someone explained that the wiring of the drive is having trouble making contact. Stick the drive in and out of the port repeatedly for like an hour until you see it load. So now it's Wednesday night, and I did just that. In the 55th minute, it loaded, and I excitedly proceeded to copy everything. You can imagine the relief! Take note!!

So now, a year later, some of that copied data is a little corrupted. I would like to access the non-communicating flash drive again, and the in and out trick no longer works. The data, of course, is there. I understand that the flash drive can be opened and the wiring very carefully soldered. I would not want to attempt this myself and chance making things worse. I've soldered wires, but nothing this intricate. I'd rather have it done by someone who has done it before. The question I have is, where do I bring it? Who does flash drive repair? Of course, I would also welcome remedy possibilities from others who have experienced this.

Thanks so much!       

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

Have you tried this flash drive on another computer? If so then I would only let a professional data recovery service look at the drive. They are not cheap. DriveSavers is one of the better services.

https://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

Edit: revised post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 April 2017 - 11:05 AM.

#3 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:38 AM

Hi John. Thanks. Yes, I tried it on a few different computers. If I didn't get lucky last year, I would have definitely used a data recovery service. I wouldn't go through that expense now for the bit of data that needs a second look. But I did see on the net that this is a matter of soldering the intricate flash drive wires that make communicating with the computer through the port possible. I'll attempt it as my last resort if I can't come up with someplace that does that sort of thing. 

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

There is, of course, more than one way to approach this. I'm assuming that every single computer you tried it on was a Windows machine, yes?

You could try a Linux LiveCD (or LiveUSB, if you don't have an optical drive), and see if the drive in question shows up in the file-manager of whichever one you choose to use. If so, you can then copy everything off the drive in question to another one.

Just a suggestion.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 02 April 2017 - 05:44 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

Mike's suggestion is a good one. I have had flash drives refuse to mount in Windows that would successfully mount in linux.  Puppy linux and fatdog64, based on Puppy, is good for doing this. 

#6 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:20 AM

Thanks Mike and John. This would work even if it's a mechanical wear issue with the flash drive, as mine has? I guess I don't see how the drive would be able to communicate with the computer if the operating system was different, but I've never used Linux, so I don't know.

If you do think the odds are good for success, where would I start with this? Go to a computer store help desk that has Linux operating? Or maybe a library that has Linux available? What would be your approach if you only had access to Windows computers? Thanks... 

Edited by joezapp, 03 April 2017 - 12:21 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:45 AM

Linux will not help if it's a mechanical problem. But, there are times where Windows will not open the flash drive and linux will. Do you have an available CD or USB flash drive? You can burn an iso of fatdog64 by right clicking the iso file and selecting burn disk image. If using a USB flash drive use Rufus. Run Rufus from the desktop and not from the flash drive. I don't know your OS or the model of the computer but you should be able to tap a key to access a boot menu allowing you to select your boot device. 

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-710.iso

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an upgraded computer from 7 or 8 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda2 or sda3 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your external USB flash drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the USB flash drive window to the sdaX window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. You may want to open a few to see if the copy was successful

If Fatdog fails to mount the partitions then the flash drive has most likely failed.

#8 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:00 AM

Thanks, John. Very interesting! I'll try Rufus and report back.

#9 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:33 AM

Hi John. Please help me with this. My OS is Vista on an HP laptop.

So I suppose I will use a fresh new flash drive so that I don't have to back up anything (and as an alternative to burning a CD).

And I will have the troubled flash drive ready.

I click on the Rufus link in your first paragraph.

After that, I'm lost.

Could you give me a step-by-step from here? Thanks so much!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Download the fatdog64 iso file. Click the below link and download it to your desktop.

Fatdog64-710.iso

Attach a blank USB flash drive to your computer. Download Rufus to your desktop and double click to run. Follow the instructions I posted for Rufus in my post #7. In the first box make sure your flash drive is listed. In the drop down box for Partition scheme select MBR. Leave all boxes as checked. If you see Freedos in a dropdown box change is to iso image. Click on the small folder icon and browse to the fatdog iso file on your desktop. Press Start.

After Rufus completes reboot the computer with the flash drive attached. If the computer does not boot the USB flash drive you will need to change your boot order in BIOS or use the boot menu key. What is the make and model of your computer?

See post #7 on fatdog instructions. At the fatdog desktop attach your flash drive you are trying to recover your files from. A small USB icon will appear on your desktop next to your other USB icon. Click it. Do you see your files? 

#11 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:48 AM

Hi John. Thank you for helping me. 

I started downloading Fatdog and then stopped because I noticed that it requires a 64 bit machine. Mine is 32 bit. No good, right?

Assuming that it must be 64 bit, I am using my wife's laptop for this. So far I have accomplished this much:

I have downloaded fatdog64 iso file and have it on the desktop.

I have attached a blank USB flash drive to the computer. I have downloaded Rufus to the desktop and double clicked to run. In the first box my flash drive was listed. In the drop down box for Partition scheme I selected MBR for BIOS and UEFI. I left all boxes as checked. I changed Freedos in a dropdown box to iso image. I clicked on the small folder icon and browsed to the fatdog iso file on the desktop. I pressed Start.

After Rufus completed, I rebooted the computer with the flash drive attached. The computer did not boot the USB Flash Drive.

Please guide me through the next steps. I'm getting closer! 

My wife's computer is running Windows 7 on an HP EliteBook 6930p.

Thanks so much!

Edited by joezapp, 08 April 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

Is your CPU 32 bit or is the OS 32bit. There is a difference. You can also use Puppy linux. For your computer use Puppy Tahrpup which will boot on a 32bit CPU. 

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

To check if your CPU is 32bit use Grc utiliity.

https://www.grc.com/securable.htm

Just a note: Vista will not longer be supported with Security Updates this April. Consider another computer or installing a linux distro. I don't know your specs but for an older computer consider Mint Mate 17.1. Support will last for another 2 years.

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca_mate.php

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 April 2017 - 01:24 PM.

#13 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

Hi John. Thank you for helping me. I edited the prior post while you sent this, but we'll get to your follow up suggestions later. Thanks! 

I am using my wife's 64-bit laptop for this now. So far I have accomplished this much:

I have downloaded fatdog64 iso file and have it on the desktop.

I have attached a blank USB flash drive to the computer. I have downloaded Rufus to the desktop and double clicked to run. In the first box my flash drive was listed. In the drop down box for Partition scheme I selected MBR for BIOS and UEFI. I left all boxes as checked. I changed Freedos in a dropdown box to iso image. I clicked on the small folder icon and browsed to the fatdog iso file on the desktop. I pressed Start.

After Rufus completed, I rebooted the computer with the flash drive attached. The computer did not boot the USB Flash Drive.

Please guide me through the next steps. I'm getting closer! 

My wife's computer is running Windows 7 on an HP EliteBook 6930p.

Thanks so much!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

Tap F9 at boot with the flash drive attached. Select your USB flash drive as the boot device. If you still cannot boot then download Puppy Tahrpup and use it with Rufus. 

tahr64-6.0.5.iso

#15 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

I tapped F9 at boot with the flash drive attached. My USB drive was not a listed option...only Windows 7. I proceeded to download Puppy Tahrup.

I suppose that now I open Rufus, click on the small folder icon and browse to Tahr64, and press Start? Am I to assume that this will overwrite the recently created Fatdog Live flash drive? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users