Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After botched clone to flashdrive, win 7 won't recognize

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 frank1492

frank1492

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:54 AM

Newbie here. Afterwards flashdrive was run on Win 8 machine, and did show in Win Explorer but size shown was incorrect - a few MB.Also file system was no longer fat32, apparently altered by cloning process as were partitions. Drive was cleaned, partition reset, format reset to exFAT,and correct size returned, all normal. BUT when inserted to Win7 machine, beeped, but not shown in Explorer!! Device manager showed device with #10 error- device cannot start. Drivers were checked, reinstalled, no more error messages. Computer restarted but still no Win Explorer display. Would like to get the drive working again for both Win7 and Win8, restored to condition before the clone. Wit's end here!! Any ideas? Thanks for help.

Edited by hamluis, 04 April 2017 - 08:16 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

I would delete everything on the flash drive...attach to working system...go to Device Manager and format.

Be aware that using FAT instead of NTFS imposes a size limit on the ability to move large files to said drive.

Louis

#3 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

The drive was "cleaned" and was reformatted as you suggested. It runs properly on Win8 but not Win7. Win7 shows it running normally-it beeps when inserted but is not accessible. I will change the fat formatting but don't think it will make a difference.
Thanks! Any other thoughts?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

It makes no sense for a flash drive to appear/function normally on one version of Windows...and not another.

Perhaps the drive is the problem.

Louis

#5 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:23 PM

The drive had to be cleaned (all structure erased) and completely reformatted to function normally again on the Win 8 machine. The process of attempting to do a clone of a hard drive would have structured the flash exactly as the hard drive. Now after fixing, the Win 7 machine doesn't see it. I don't know enough about the differences between the two operating systems to know if that makes sense, given that the flash may have been altered in some subtle way and not be exactly as it was originally. Thanks.

#6 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

EaseUS is a backup/restore program that I used to make a clone (not just an image) of the Win 7 hard drive on the flashdrive. Thinking flash was not a good media to use, I erased all the files using the Win 8 machine and noted "properties" then showed incorrect capacity (128gb down to a few mb.) On advice, I "cleaned" the flash and did a complete reformatting. "properties" were then correct and the drive seemed normal in the Win8 machine. But moving to the win7, the drive beeped appropriately on insertion, but did not appear in Win Explorer. The device manager indicated the drive couldn't start (Error 10), but then after several reinsertions and a driver check (the driver was uptodate and reinstalled) the device was "working properly." Still no show on Win Explorer however.
Does anyone have an answer to why this flash drive would be properly recognized by the Win 8 machine but not the Win 7?? Help much appreciated.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

The drive was formatted to NTFS as Luis suggested? With the flash drive attached to the Windows 7 computer how is it shown in Disk Management? Can you post a screenshot?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

Was the drive formatted NTFS? When you cleaned the drive you zero'd it out? With the drive attached type the following 

diskpart 

list disk

select disk X    Where X is the number associated with your flash drive

list partition      Post the output

list volume       Post the output

#9 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

list partition:
partition 1
primary
size 119gb
offset 1024gb
list volume:
g
exFAT (I changed this after the problem)
119gb
Healthy

Read on the win 8 machine. I had seen this before. Looked normal to me. Will get Win7 results in a minute.

#10 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

No difference with diskpart on the Win7 machine.
when I reformatted the flash i chose exFAT because the other original FAT option was not available. Thought that strange.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

Try this using diskpart on the Windows 7 computer with the flash drive attached. 

diskpart

list disk

select disk X

clean all                    This will zero the drive so make sure you have the correct disk number. When the prompt appears again it is completed

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

Is the flash drive now detected in Explorer?

#12 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

Yes! I was pretty sure I tried NTFS and exFAT and neither worked, but NTFS seemed to fix it. I read that you can't do FAT32 with large drive capacities, so guess that's why I only had the exFAT option. Please explain whatever I'm missing in the above that caused your solution to work. Was NTFS the whole reason?
And why was the drive properly recognized in Win8 but not Win7??
BTW the "clean all" command didn't seem to work so I used "clean."
Again, thanks so much!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:00 PM

Your Welcome,

Not sure why the clean all  command did not work. I also do not know why Windows 7 did not detect the drive unless there was no drive letter assigned but from your post both Windows 8 and 7 listed the drive as "G". 

FAT32 is okay for any files below 4GB. You need a third party partition manager to format FAT32 pass 32GB. I stay away from exFAT. NTFS is the better file system even though it is a journaling system and causes more writes to the disk. Also any linux OS can read and write to a NTFS file system.

I'm glad your problem is solved and thanks for the update.

#14 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:46 PM

Thank you again! I could have used the drive exclusively with the Win8 machine, but wanted the flexibilty. Interesting that the reason it could run properly on one OS but not the other is still unknown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users