Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 17 Update Not Completing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

I have dual boot with win 7 pro 64 bit on a Vaio

500 gb split between the two systems.

The shield in the taskbar of Linux tells me I need updates so as usual I let them run and approve everything up to level 3

but now this cycle is repeating over and over:

I get this message:" You have one broken package on your system. Use the 'broken' filter to locate it"

I click OK, then Linux starts "Download Package Files."

But then I get the message:

"Some of the packages could not be retrieved from the server.  Do you want o to ignore these packages?

I click yes.

Then the message comes on that Linux is "installing software."

Then I get the message: "Update is complete. Close this window"

But the update is not complete

I get a repeat of message 3 "Some of the packages...

Then I get a repeat of message 5:

But down in the taskbar it still says I need updates and and when I open the page, the same software updates are listed, as if they never got updated.

Do I need a total wipe and reinstall here?

I am not an expert in this stuff

Is there a tutorial on this problem?

Any assistance appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

Hi, the first thing to try is using apt to fix the broken package. Open a terminal, and run this command, entering your password when prompted to do so (you don't see any feedback from the terminal when you type your password):
sudo apt-get install -f
(I suggest using copy and paste to copy the command above, and paste it into your terminal, to avoid any syntax errors).

Now update your cache by running this command:
sudo apt-get update
Now what happens when you try to update with your Update Manager? Any difference?

#3 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

Hi, the first thing to try is using apt to fix the broken package. Open a terminal, and run this command, entering your password when prompted to do so (you don't see any feedback from the terminal when you type your password):

sudo apt-get install -f
(I suggest using copy and paste to copy the command above, and paste it into your terminal, to avoid any syntax errors).

Now update your cache by running this command:
sudo apt-get update
Now what happens when you try to update with your Update Manager? Any difference?

Thanks for these instructions.

I was not able to use them.

I had dual boot win and LM and I tried to erase and reinstall Windows on its part of the hard drive

But apparently Linux controls the booting of the computer so after putting windows recovery disk into the disk player,  I just got

grub rescue

which I did not know how to manage.

I could not get either windows or linux to boot up again.

so I booted Linux from the live cd I used to originally install it. I gives the option to install Linux on the computer, which I did.

I chose the option to completely erase the old operating systems.

Now I have all Linux Mint 17.2 on the whole machine.

I would prefer to keep it there if I can get external media like external hard drives to work on it.

If not, I will try going to Gparted and shrinking some of the Linux partition and re-installing windows on it, if that is possible.

Thanks again for your assistance. I hope to avail myself of it in the future.

P.S. Linux is now completing its updates.

Edited by Achaemenid, 09 April 2017 - 07:27 AM.

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

I would prefer to keep it there if I can get external media like external hard drives to work on it.

There's no reason why external hard drives won't work with Linux Mint, although you may need to change permissions to be able to read and write to them.

If you have any problems accessing your external hard drives or other external media, please start a new topic with an appropriate title, describing the problem.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:14 AM

Hi Al and Achaemenid

although you may need to change permissions to be able to read and write to them.

I have never needed to do that with drives that are formated as Fat or NTFS,

Edited by NickAu, 10 April 2017 - 06:15 AM.

#6 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

Thanks to AI1000 and NickAu for these comments.

Since the problem is concluded, I am concluding this thread.

Edited by Achaemenid, 12 April 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:32 AM

Hi Al and Achaemenid

I have never needed to do that with drives that are formated as Fat or NTFS,

+1! :thumbup2:

I've been downloading drivers & software to my Windows Data partitions, as well as the Documents folder of the OS for years with Linux Mint when dual booting, most recent & significant, the latest Windows 10 Pro ISO.

As well as Linux Mint ones to use with Rufus or Universal USB installer. That's the cool thing about Linux, we can read, write & delete files from Windows (FAT32/NTFS) or Data partitions to include externals, although for security, not the other way around, unless a workaround (that I've not tried) is used for the latter. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users