Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secunia PSI Update Notification

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

OS Win 7x64 Home

Just got a notification from Secunia PSI that I have programs to update. The programs are Microsoft .Net Framework 2.x 64 bit and

Microsoft .Net Framework 2.x

The installed version shows 2.0.50727.5491. When I 'click' to update it takes me to the download site where my options are "Visual Studio" download and scrolling down I have other .Net Framework options. When I select other .Net Frameworks options it shows 2.0 Sp 2 download.

I'm confused as I thought all .Net Framework updates were done through succeeding versions (eg., 2.0>3.0>3.5 etc.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong :scratchhead:

And kindly point me in the right direction for any updated downloads.

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

Same here, adding them to the ignore list they then say they're no longer supported/obsolete software.
I suspect security is finding the newer net framework thus is showing an update where there is none.

Edited by Goddess_Bastet, 31 March 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,072 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

Thanks Goddess_Bastet for your observation. Just couldn't understand why Secunia was nagging me about an old .Net Framework. Makes sense though if the program wants it hidden and is no longer supported.

#4 toerrishuman

toerrishuman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Same here -- just started showing up.  Similar stuff has happened to me before when Secunia makes a database change.  I guess I'll add it to the ignore list and hope for the best.  I have no interest in deleting the 2.0x version and then having programs inexplicably fail...

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,072 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

Yes, I added the two programs to the ignore update list and after doing so, they showed there was no longer any support. There is no intention on my part to delete version 2.x as well. There remains a possibility that if one chose to delete these programs there may be consequences which offset any benefits derived.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users