Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Active Window Goes Inactive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Poe

Randy Poe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

I have a new computer with XP Pro SP2 on it, where my previous computer had SP1. Now, unlike before, after a few seconds, the active window goes inactive. This forces a mouse click to continue using the scroll wheel, a real nuisance when web surfing. I run Norton 2006 with SystemWorks, have scanned my computer with it and found nothing. Also used AdAware and removed suspected spyware. I see no suspicious processes or services running. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:04 PM

Do you have any messenger programs that may be getting messages and stealing focus from the active window?

#3 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:02 PM

I have Windows Messenger installed, but I have never gotten any messages from anyone (so I don't use it).

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

What program or ap gets the focus on the screen when you loose it in your active window?

I would suggest taking the messenger aps out of the start menu anyway, especially since you do not need them running in order to get messages.

Use Startup Inspector for this:
Startup Inspector (manages startup menu – helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 September 2006 - 03:13 PM.

#5 dreamfall

dreamfall

• Banned
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

exactly what kind of windows goes inactive?
do you see any unusual proescess of CPU?
And does it always happen?

#6 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:46 PM

Thank you for some suggestions. Here are some answers to your questions: 1) I was mistaken - there are no messenger apps running, (2) the active window goes inactive when only ONE task shows in the taskbar, so I don't know what is becoming active (3) processor is basically idle (4) it happens just about all of the time (5) just about any kind of window goes inactive (like posting here...) but is most annoying when it is a browser window. I checked for strange startup programs and found none. I also used all of the "malware steps" listed in this forum, using all scanning tools. The problem still occurs. Any further suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

Check your power options in the control panel to make sure the settings are correct.

#8 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:08 PM

The power settings look fine. I do not use any sleep, power down, or hibernate options. Anything else to try? Thanks.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:12 PM

What about screensaver settings?
How long until the screensaver (whether you have chosen one or not) is activated?

#10 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:52 PM

There is a 10-minute delay for the screen saver. The active window goes inactive way before this :-)

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

Out of ideas.

The only aps I can think of with time out options are email clients.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:39 AM

This problem has started to pop up on several of the forums that I hang out at (and no-one has a solution yet).

It appears that something is stealing the focus, but it's not visible to the eye.

I suspect something in the system tray, or one of the running processes, is misbehaving (and it might also be conflicting with a recent MS update - but that's pure conjecture at this point).

Try disabling your Systray icons one by one to see if this fixes it. If not, then try killing processes one by one to see if it fixes it (be careful, some of the processes are necessary).

I'd first look to processes that do things automatically (like check email, backup, etc).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users