Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random weird scheduled tasks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RaveBlack

RaveBlack

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:35 AM

I have these weird tasks that show up in the Task Status of my Task Scheduler, with names like {2eb52c07-be90-41f4-a905-5720b673b796}. Never the same name twice. Their run result is always stopped, and they stop in the same second that they start. I have absolutely no idea what's causing them to register, because I can never catch them when they run, but they don't look to actually be doing anything.

I don't believe it's malware-related, because I've run ESET (online edition), AdwCleaner, MBAM, MBAR, TDSSKiller, and even JRT, and everything comes up clean.

I actually just had to reset my installation again (unrelated issue), but I'd seen them show up on the prior one as well.

Should I be worried about this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:34 AM

Names like that are commonly Class ID's for installed applications. In simple terms they are a registry/system identifier for applications to run on your machine.

As Microsoft chooses to run all sorts of things on Win 10 without your knowledge, and you have used multiple scanners to check your system, no... I would not be concerned.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:33 AM

Go to Action tap of the scheduled task to find out what program been executed.

Posted Image

#4 RaveBlack

RaveBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

Names like that are commonly Class ID's for installed applications. In simple terms they are a registry/system identifier for applications to run on your machine.

As Microsoft chooses to run all sorts of things on Win 10 without your knowledge, and you have used multiple scanners to check your system, no... I would not be concerned.

So probably Win 10 just being Win 10? Even with the different IDs each time that don't appear in the system registry? That's the part that concerned me the most, even though my system is clean. I feel stupid right now, I never noticed that tasks have different IDs each time.

Go to Action tap of the scheduled task to find out what program been executed.

Unless there's something that can find that out off a stopped task in Task Status alone, no can do.

Edited by RaveBlack, 01 April 2017 - 12:24 AM.

#5 RaveBlack

RaveBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:22 AM

So, by Googling, I finally got clued in to look in the Task Scheduler application logs to see what these mystery tasks were.

They're a different task each time, started by Task Scheduler under my username, but they all do the same action before being terminated.

"Global\JD_TaskSchedulerSchedule", along with an ID behind it, different each time.

This is where Google fails me, so what the heck is "Global\JD_TaskSchedulerSchedule"?

#6 Joeykong

Joeykong

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

i believe the issue is coming from windows media center i had a issue like this at work were in event view it showed a bunch of task errors and if you open scheduled tasks it give a bunch of errors

issue is because win 7 used media center but it is no longer in win 10 

i would google this for you and provide more detail but i am back from my lunch break lol

but check into the windows media center tasks and that will probably fix it 

#7 RaveBlack

RaveBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:52 PM

i believe the issue is coming from windows media center i had a issue like this at work were in event view it showed a bunch of task errors and if you open scheduled tasks it give a bunch of errors

issue is because win 7 used media center but it is no longer in win 10 

i would google this for you and provide more detail but i am back from my lunch break lol

but check into the windows media center tasks and that will probably fix it 

This comp came with Win 10, so no WMC tasks to be had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users