Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to burn windows 10 iso onto USB + additional problem

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 achevy

achevy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

I am currently using Ubuntu 16.04.  For a variety of reasons I am attempting to switch back to Windows 10.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to burn the iso file onto my USB drive (formatted as fat32, got renamed to Windows USB in the process)...and I managed to create a new mess in the process.

I downloaded a WinUSB fork from github (https://github.com/slacka/WinUSB) and attempted to burn it from there.  It might have worked but I closed it out, foolishly thinking something had gone awry.  When I tried to restart the process, I received

Installation failed !
Exit code: 256
Log:
Formatting device...
Error: Partition(s) on /dev/sdb are being used

on a popup.  I deleted everything in the USB (completely empty now, with 7.8 gb of space) and tried again several times but to no avail.  I've made a pretty decent mess of things and would love to start from scratch but I don't know how and I don't know how to clear out the partitions. My endgame is to just get the iso file onto my USB but I'm well and stuck.  Would greatly appreciate any help.

I apologize if this belongs in the Ubuntu help forums, and for any lack of information.  I'll gladly help fill in any details tomorrow...it's late, I'm frustrated, and I want to get as much of this down while my memory of this is still fresh.

Edited by achevy, 30 March 2017 - 10:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:50 PM

Use Rufus.

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

Extract files from ISO to USB and that's all what You need. No Rufus or any other widget not needed.
Only what You must know is how to boot from USB and if You have only USB3, You must add also USB3 drivers. Thats all. (If there is USB2 drivers are  not needed).
But if You know, how to mount ISO, even this is not needed.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

Extract files from ISO to USB and that's all what You need. No Rufus or any other widget not needed.
Only what You must know is how to boot from USB and if You have only USB3, You must add also USB3 drivers. Thats all. (If there is USB2 drivers are  not needed).

You miss the formatting type and making the USB bootable in the correct BIOS/UEFI type also. Rufus is easy in comparison.

edit: and it will sort any permissions issues too.

Edited by TsVk!, 31 March 2017 - 12:25 AM.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:05 AM

You can also use WinToFlash program.

Posted Image

#6 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:17 AM

screenshot_392.jpg

screenshot_392.jpg

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

I know this works because I used it to install Windows 10 on my 8.1 computer.

Just downloaded a new Windows 10 ISO.

Extracted it on the USB.

To save time download the ISO directly to the USB.

See picture---

screenshot_392.jpg

Edited by medab1, 31 March 2017 - 05:22 AM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:31 AM

You can't clean install Windows OS from working version of any operating system.

Posted Image

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:51 AM

You miss the formatting type and making the USB bootable in the correct BIOS/UEFI type also. Rufus is easy in comparison.

edit: and it will sort any permissions issues too.

There is no Rufus in Linux. In Linux the whole process is different but so much easier. In Linux all I ever do is right click on an ISO image file and choose to extract the image to a USB stick. I just did it yesterday using Linux Mint 18 and creating a bootable USB stick for Debian. It worked like a charm.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 achevy

achevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

well, I tried to extract the iso to my usb, but there didn't appear to be an option for that.  I then tried to copy directly onto my USB...and it got 4.3 out of the 4.4 gbs on before I got an error - 'error splicing file - file too large'.  No idea how to deal with that.  This can't be this difficult.

I put the iso on my external hard drive and stuck that on another laptop (runs Windows 8).  Could it hurt to try to set it up with Rufus on that if getting it going on my laptop doesn't work?

Edited by achevy, 31 March 2017 - 10:10 AM.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

That error is caused by your file format. Your USB has to be formatted FAT32 for a file that large. But of course I don't think that just copying an ISO to a USB will work, but thankfully Linux has built in software in order to create a bootable USB stick.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

well, I tried to extract the iso to my usb, but there didn't appear to be an option for that.  I then tried to copy directly onto my USB...and it got 4.3 out of the 4.4 gbs on before I got an error - 'error splicing file - file too large'.  No idea how to deal with that.  This can't be this difficult.

I put the iso on my external hard drive and stuck that on another laptop (runs Windows 8).  Could it hurt to try to set it up with Rufus on that if getting it going on my laptop doesn't work?

Your usb pen drive or external hard drive needs to be formatted in NTFS, not Fat32.

If you already have it on an external hard drive just right click it & choose "extract here".

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

I am running both Ubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint 18.1 and they both have the option to;

CREATE BOOTABLE USB STICK

That option comes standard with every Linux that I have ever used. Just right click on the file and you should see that option.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

Your USB has to be formatted FAT32 for a file that large.

The maximum file size for FAT32 is 4GB.  That is too small for this application, the drive will need to be formatted to NTFS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

Your usb pen drive or external hard drive needs to be formatted in NTFS, not Fat32.

If you already have it on an external hard drive just right click it & choose "extract here".

The reason I prefer FAT32 is because I always boot as UEFI and not BIOS;

https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/issues/855

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

That's fine... if you are using the UEFI.  But if you are not the NTFS format will need to be used.  You need to request which one the op is using and then make you suggestion according to which they are using.  There are still motherboards out there that don't offer UEFI or have the option to use the legacy option.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users