Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SFC and DISM fail

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 markab

markab

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:04 PM

Coming from my 'can't delete folders' post, a new issue!

My laptop is barely 2 weeks old. Its Windows install is the same age. I was hoping I'd get a couple months before everything started breaking but no.

Today, after some problems with permissions and folder deletion, I was trying to install something requiring .NET 2.0. It wasn't happening so I followed some online guides that led me to the "Turn Windows features on or off" feature of the control panel. The box was completely blank which apparently should not be happening.

I then attempted to run both sfc /scannow and DISM and they both closed with errors before even starting to run. Sfc told me it couldn't initialize the repair service; DISM told me 'the object exporter specified could not be found.

The only thing I can think of that would have contributed to this is a failed Windows update I had to uninstall & reinstall, and it's working properly now. I honestly have no clue how to proceed. Should I reinstall Windows or is there some other way to solve this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:07 PM

If you've got a two-week old machine that's behaving this way, and you have no real investment in time nor a ton of data on it, I'd take it back for a replacement.

There is no reason that brand new equipment should be behaving this way and I would be very suspicious of something being wrong at the hardware level, not just with Windows 10.

You have the option (or should, anyway) to get rid of this lemon and start again.  Take it sooner rather than later.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users