Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Restarting on Boot - Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ad_infinitum

ad_infinitum

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

Hi everyone:

I have an old Acer with Windows Vista installed. I haven't touched the thing in quite some time. I shoved it in the closet because it wasn't working and can't exactly remember WHY or WHEN it stopped working.

When the computer is powered on, it begins to boot and displays the ACER Logo. It then briefly shows some text at the top. I think it reads as follows:

"AMC1 Option ROM BIOS Revision 01.05.92 Date: 02-19-2000

Copyright © 2006-2008 Phoenix Technologies, Inc.

Port 01: WDC WD6400AAKS-00A7B2        SATA-2, Hard Disk    640 GB

Port 02: HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GBC-H20   SATA-1,  CD ROM/DVD-ROM

BIOS INSTALLED!!"

If you do nothing, the computer will restart within about a second and repeat this forever, unless you shut it down.

You do have the option to go the setup screen by hitting the delete button or go to the boot menu by hitting F12.

You can access the set up screen, but I can't see any reason to.

You can also access the boot menu, where I assume is where something could be done.

I think I was able to use other boot options in the past, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marumarsu

marumarsu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:34 AM

Damnit I've gotten stuck into so many boot loops and gotten out of them, but it's been so long since the last one i can't remember what i did. Welp, for starters you could try:

- Checking whether a peripheral is causing the loop by unplugging everything

- Repairing the system files with the installation CD

- Defaulting bios settings

- If it's a desktop computer try changing your cmos battery

- Flashing to ubuntu and updating your bios

- While on ubuntu downloading software that checks the boot loader for errors eg. TestDisk

Edited by marumarsu, 02 May 2017 - 05:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users