Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can an secure an anonymize my Android device.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TalonKey

TalonKey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

EDIT: Sorry for the title gore.

Hi. I'm looking to try and secure my phone against snooping as much as possible and try to remain as anonymous as possible online/in my communications. I realize that nothing is foolproof, but I would like to try.

I will be starting with a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7. It is a warranty replacement - i.e. it's not brand new, but it is new to me and my data, it's has been sent back to to the factory (most likely it was sold to another customer who returned it, but after it was opened) and been refurbish, wiped, and restored. Maybe not ideal, but it's what I have. Anyway, I obviously can't hide the owner from Verizon, as obviously this handset is firmly linked to the account (I assume that it would be the same with a brand new phone too) - it is a the business account of a parent's company, where my name or info is not included, and there are multiple lines all registered to someone else (though obviously there is a family connection, even though we have different last names). OK.

So far, I have a throwaway Google account I plan to use to setup the phone - and will try to use Google products as little as possible (different companies for email, notes, calendar, etc - but certain things, like the google voice assistant, are hard to replace). I will be using an anonymously payed for VPN and Onion Browser (until I learn how to use the full version of TOR). Otherwise I'm at a loss and could use some help.

- Anything I should download before going online (I could possibly use a microSD to transfer files from another device): e.g. to prevent my device ID from being logged, etc.

- What do I need to do to my phone to root it, and to remove pre-installed spyware, malware, and bloatware. (FYI I'm not a tech expert, so I don't want to do anything that will mess up the underlying operating system, or the kernels, etc or make me unable to get OS updates, though I am willing to learn new things like app launchers, or themes, etc that will make my phone more secure/faster)?

- Any good recommendations for apps replace google products so I can still retain some smartphone functionality?

- I assume it's pretty impossible to shield your standard cellular communications (text and speech over the Verizon network), especially if people on the other end aren't doing the same, but I'd still like to here any ideas?

- Some good secure/encrypted apps to replace texting/calling (though sadly, no one I know currently uses these)?

Anything else.  I am looking for tips, guides, advice, whatever.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by TalonKey, 30 March 2017 - 08:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frustratedandroiduse

frustratedandroiduse

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:22 PM

Talonkey,

Im new myself so cant really offer much. I do however want to do pretty much what you are trying to do in the long term.
I do remember seeing some excellent guides for onion /tor /vpns on a website called eff.com or eff.org which is very much pro-digital privacy.

I also remember seeing some forums here on bleeping computer re security/privacy etc but im so new myself i have not had a chance to read them myself.

Lastly, you might like to ask one of moderators on bleeping whether they may think your post should go into possibly a more narrow focus forum than just on here which is i presume a general android forum. Some experienced person may then see it and answer.

Anyway good luck and i hope to see your post answered so we can both learn.

Regards,
frustratedandroiduse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users