Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Issues on Zotac GTX760

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AutoJukebox

AutoJukebox

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

So I picked up a Zotac GTX 760 2GB off of one of my Friends on a “you fix it, you keep it” agreement and usually I never pass up on free Graphics Card so I went and booted it up to see what the issue was and I was very confused. There were strange red coloring everywhere and then it crashed with video tdr failure nvlddmkm.sys. 

So I booted into safemode DDU’d it and installed the latest drivers then booted it up and no display. So I boot back into safemode with no Issue DDU’d it and installed an earlier driver version and what do you know….. No display. 

So I DDU’d it and booted up without installing drivers and I was able to boot into Windows on the Basic Display Adapter so I have windows open for a bit then when I clicked the windows home button it BSOD with Video TDR Failure ( nvlddmkm.sys ) again. 

Rebooted and then 4 minutes later BSOD same error. So I then I booted into safemode ran Afterburner and it showed some interesting Information. 

The baseclock was at 1500 and that’s very hard to believe as the Factory base clock is 993mhz. So I tried downclocking it but Afterburner doesn’t allow me too in Safemode and I can’t be in windows long enough for it do it there. 
So I ran Ubuntu and during the install the Ubuntu logo had a neon green outline then went to a White screen with a bunch of random Colors and did that about 2 more times.

So here’s my question: Is there a fix for this or is this 760 bricked.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

My first impression is that if there is a fix it will be more than the cost of a replacement

My second impression is that it might make an interesting paperweight

Dick

PS:  I'm not the expert but I've fixed a few computers over the years as the bench tech for a reseller

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

It's a definite hardware problem, so any messing about with drivers is not going to help.  Some have fixed them by putting them in the oven.  I can't advise directly as I have never tried it myself (although I have a couple of old cards I could test it on, I guess).  DYOR and do it at your own risk, but here's a basic article about it - http://lifehacker.com/5823227/save-dying-video-cards-with-a-quick-bake-in-the-oven

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 AutoJukebox

AutoJukebox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:53 PM

It's a definite hardware problem, so any messing about with drivers is not going to help.  Some have fixed them by putting them in the oven.  I can't advise directly as I have never tried it myself (although I have a couple of old cards I could test it on, I guess).  DYOR and do it at your own risk, but here's a basic article about it - http://lifehacker.com/5823227/save-dying-video-cards-with-a-quick-bake-in-the-oven

That fixed it, No joke. Thank you so much!

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:59 PM

Excellent!  Good to hear it worked.  Enjoy your free graphics card!  I might even get around to trying it on the couple of old cards I mentioned, one of which failed with exactly the same on screen artefacts you described.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users