Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

I have been concerned with the recent repeal of Internet Privacy and have been told the only way to protect yourself is by using a VPN. How many of you are using a VPN? Which one are you using?Which one is best? is it better to have a VPN on your Router or just on your local machine? Comments,suggestions are welcome.I know there are many options out there! I want to install a VPN on my router so all my machines are encrypted. Thanks- Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Hey Paul, I'm personally using PureVPN at my home and work as well. And you are right with setting it up on the router. I have done the same. This way all my family devices remain encrypted. 

#3 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

At paul88ks, Look here https://privacytoolsio.github.io/privacytools.io/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

Hey Paul, I'm personally using PureVPN at my home and work as well. And you are right with setting it up on the router. I have done the same. This way all my family devices remain encrypted. 

Do you have any issues with download speeds? I watched a tutorial where I can set up one router as a VPN- and  another as regular network. Thinking of doing this because of Netflix on my Amazon Firestick. Having all my computers on the VPN,and the Internet TV on the regular network.

Edited by paul88ks, 31 March 2017 - 03:41 AM.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

Sorry- don't know what happened with that last post- it posted a bunch of times!

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Crazy Cat- useful information there!

#7 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

Hey paul88ks, edit your #4 post to correct the over-posts. All VPN, proxies, will have issues with download speeds and latency when multiple users are connecting to the proxy server.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

Hey paul88ks, edit your #4 post to correct the over-posts. All VPN, proxies, will have issues with download speeds and latency when multiple users are connecting to the proxy server.

Thanks Crazy Cat- I didn't know how to fix it!

#9 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:55 AM

What do you guys think about the deal BC is offering?https://deals.bleepingcomputer.com/sales/tigervpn-lifetime-subscription-3?utm_source=StackSocial+Deals+Newsletter&utm_campaign=20170330_Tech_DailyDeals_greaterthan&utm_medium=email

#10 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

Do you have any issues with download speeds? I watched a tutorial where I can set up one router as a VPN- and  another as regular network. Thinking of doing this because of Netflix on my Amazon Firestick. Having all my computers on the VPN,and the Internet TV on the regular network.

Paul, download speeds get a bit down on all VPNs. But I don't notice any major difference. And yes regular network for TV is a good idea. But you can also sometimes use it via the VPN if you want to access some blocked content. 

I have no idea about the other VPN you've posted. Never heard of it really.

And yes, I received an e-mail from my VPN about their new family packages and I think they are amazing. Thought to share with you. They are providing a max of 30 multi-logins which is pretty nice. https://www.purevpn.com/vpn-for-family 

#11 cryptist

cryptist

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:15 PM

I do use TorGuard, (it doesn't use Tor networking) they also allow (hint torrent downloading). There are other providers which are excellent like PIA, AirVPN, mullvads (lacks a lot of countries compared to others) I mostly get full speed on TorGuard, out of the others, but it could be just me. I get quite fast sppeds (125mbps down 5mbps up) Usually average on TorGuard is around 85mbps. while others were around 60mbps. Plus, it's cheap, you can Google and find coupons for certain VPN providers, TorGuard has one that knocks 50% off. Anyway, moving on. I personally don't trust these services 100% even though they have good intentions. Look at Hidemyass, they usually forward DMCA notices and a few people got into trouble, and they got caught easily. I DO NOT RECOMMEND you use it to break the law or do anything illegal. I just mean they log, hence I don't trust them to hide my traffic. They may have good intentions, but you never know.

I bought my own VPS. It may not have access to thousand of servers, and of course they will have your private information (So will some VPN providers) and it's really not anonymous as they are. There are no users shared, you get a dedicated ip that can be traced to you. But, since you're just concerned about them collecting browsing history. I use my VPS (Lunanode Canada/France) I pay 4.1 a month and goes up then there is Vultr (US, Europe, No CA) which starts off at 2.5 (both accepts bitcoins) but require too much personal information. If you do get into legal trouble, they can trace it back to you a lot more easily. I use foxyproxy for proxies. You can also use TorGuard's proxy service (Socks / http proxies). They're a lot faster than VPN providers as well. You get a dedicated IP. 

If I use a VPN I do this: I use Vmware or Virtualbox (free) I install Gentoo, Linux Mint, or whatever you prefer that's easiest and convenient. I use ufw (easier than direct iptables) rules, so if the VPN disconnects, it won't be able to go through the web, but I had to allow the DNS servers so I wouldn't have to edit all the .ovpns with ips. A lot of websites tend to hate VPNs or VPS servers, so be prepared to be denied access or annoying captchas. Software by VPN providers do this as well, but I don't think it's as secure. I didn't install OpenVPN on these (you can), but I prefer ssh tunnel it's just as secure / encrypted where your ISP cannot read it.

Even with with ISPS, VPN, VPS, or proxies they can trace you with cookies (If you login to Gmail and identify you) or what not. Anyway, here:  https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/ find your own VPN providers that you agree with depending on budget or what not. Always search for coupons before buying anything!

I didn't add any reference links so I get nothing for this. I hope you don't consider it as spam. 

Edited by cryptist, 02 April 2017 - 10:17 PM.

#12 anajames

anajames

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

I use both Purevpn and Astrill vpn. Both i would suggest are good to use. 

As far as using on the machine or router is totally upon you. 

With a router you would be able to get vpn to be used on other devices as well. Be it your smartphone or tablet or another computer. 

For purevpn and astrill you can get setup guides from their respective websites on how to use it with a router. 

#13 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

Why do you use Two VPNs? @anajames 

#14 Dooms_Daisy

Dooms_Daisy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

I've had experience using TouchVPN and TunnelBear when at home. I had these VPNs working on two different devices so I can compare and find out which one is better. 

For free VPNs, though. Do you ever wonder how these VPNs earn from providing this type of service?

#15 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:25 PM

I am only using a VPN on a second router for all my computers,which are on a VPN network. My primary router is for my Internet TV, Netflix and some other apps will not allow you to use a VPN with their services for various reasons. You must configure a router VPN manually,and some VPN networks have their own approved list of routers.

The instructions for how to do this are readily available on the WEB or YouTube. If anyone needs any help configuring your router to a VPN I would be happy to help! Or, I can post some of the links here,if that is allowed at BC!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users