Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

time for a clean...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AndyP5000

AndyP5000

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

Can anyone help me go threw the process of cleaning my machine of unwanted processes, junk removal ancd giving my win 7 comp a good clean out.

Sorry if this is wrong area to post.

Cheers

Andy 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

Well I would start by 1st backing up your computer.

You would not believe how many service calls I do start with "I was cleaning my computer and...

Once your sure you have a good backup then I would uninstall any programs your sure you no longer use. 

Then you can use a good system cleaner like CCleaner.

https://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

Another thing you can do is run a HijackThis scan; you may be surprised at what is loading. Just be careful what you delete, you can damage some of your programs by nuking the wrong thing. Also, you will find a lot of "file not found" results in Windows 7 for Windows OS files; the files are actually there, but the way W7 is set up HijackThis can't read them, so just ignore them. What I do when I clean up a machine is nuke all BHOs, Extra Buttons and tool bars. Chances are there a ton of them loading that you don't know about. M. Internet Explorer will have several entries. Nuke them all, it will not affect how it runs at all-except it will run faster.

Next, run adwcleaner and JRT adware removers, downloadable from this website. Let them remove anything they find.

Next download and run Autoruns, which will list everything that is loading on boot. Choose the "Hide Microsoft Entries" from the tabs on top. This is for your protection so you don't accidentally damage your operating system. Deselect the checkbox in front of the entry you want to prevent from loading and that item will not load on boot. There will be a lot of things loading that you can just as easily start by clicking on the shortcut button for that program; there will be a lot of program updaters loading; you can manually update your programs yourself occasionally.

That should get you started.

Edited by ranchhand_, 31 March 2017 - 10:40 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

Just do a clean install...it's faster and more reliable than trying to fix unknown issues of all types...and will provide a valid base for dealing with any situations that may originate in hardware.

Louis

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Are you experiencing any specific issues? What's driving your desire to "clean your machine"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users