Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small iPad problem.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

I have just noticed that the volume icon no longer appears on the iPad screen when I up or lower the volume.  
The OS 10.2.1 which I believe is the latest when I check for updates.
It doesn't really worry me but it would be nice to know that it is actually going up or down.
All ideas would be appreciated...Thanks in advance.

Edit: Moved topic from Mac OS to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

1.Restart your device and if that doesn't work
2.Update your iPad's iOS again

If this doesn't solve the problem, nothing else will. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 30 March 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#3 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

Okay thanks for that but now I ask another question. How do I update again if it already has the latest update? I am not the bright bulb in the lighting system when it comes to Apple... :blush:

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

I am not sure as I've never owned an Apple product. Post a new topic here. I'm sure somebody will answer! :)

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

Hi Beel!

Note: I do not own an iPad (only an iPhone) however, regarding your volume icon missing, I used Google search as my friend to see if there were any other iPad users with your same problem. Here are a couple of links that might lead you to a resolve.

Welcome to iMore! If the hard reset doesn't work permanently, you might try Reset All Settings.

Reset All Settings 
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms. 

If that doesn't work, the only thing left to try is a restore as new. Not from a back up.
10-02-2016 03:28 

Link: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/totally-new-ipad-user-having-trouble-with-volume-icon-display.77443/

As far as your current iOS being updated, it's best for you to share what iPad model you own. The iOS software compatibility can be different per iPad model.

Cheers! 

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

Okay thanks for that but now I ask another question. How do I update again if it already has the latest update? I am not the bright bulb in the lighting system when it comes to Apple... :blush:

Hook the iPad up to your computer that has iTunes installed on it. When the iPad "shows up" in iTunes, you will see a "Restore iPad..." button under the Summary screen. Clicking on the button will start the Restore process which will "restore" the iPad to factory like condition EXCEPT it will have the latest version of iOS that it can run.

Note: BE SURE TO BACKUP YOU iPad IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOU CONTENT WHEN YOU USE THE RESTORE FUNCTION. Using the Restore function will wipe the iPad back to "factory like" condition (i.e. empty). You then will need to restore your contents from the backup.

#7 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:28 AM

Okay smax013 many thanks for that however I don't have a computer with iTunes just an old W7 machine so I guess I will just grin and bare it or possibly try the restore settings trick but again I am a bit hesitant to try that too in case I mess things up as I am not into the workings of Apple iPads etc. I only use the iPad when away from home eg making calls on Skype & checking emails.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

You can install iTunes on that Windows 7 computer. Just go to the Apple website on that computer and then download and install iTunes.

Once iTunes is installed, connect the iPad to a USB port on the computer while the iPad is unlocked/screen is on and while iTunes is running. It will need to install a driver and should ask you to "trust" this computer. After you trust the computer, the iPad should "show up" in iTunes. It may ask if want to sync with the computer...you don't need to do that if you don't want, but it will also back up the iPad to iTunes on the computer unless you have been using iCloud to backup the iPad.

Once you have backed up the iPad (either to iCloud or the computer), you can then do the "Restore iPad..." button.

In terms of the Reset options on the iPad (what you referred to as "restore settings trick"), none of them should remove any data or apps EXCEPT the "Erase all contents and settings option"...that will wipe the iPad. If you do the "Reset all settings", then you will have redo all the settings you have setup in the Settings app, includIng WiFi settings and passwords for iCloud, etc.

#9 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

smax013 you are the whiz kid. You would have to be to be able to steer the likes of me through the process to rectify a computer problem as I am not very clever when it comes to computers I can assure of that. All okay now thank you very much mate. I did the backup in icloud.... :thumbup2:

#10 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

I have just noticed that the volume icon no longer appears on the iPad screen when I up or lower the volume.  The OS 10.2.1 which I believe is the latest when I check for updates.It doesn't really worry me but it would be nice to know that it is actually going up or down.All ideas would be appreciated...Thanks in advance.Edit: Moved topic from Mac OS to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Look under Settings>Sounds>Ringer & Alerts> turn off Change with buttons, this will return the volume icon on the screen.

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:35 PM

I have just noticed that the volume icon no longer appears on the iPad screen when I up or lower the volume.  The OS 10.2.1 which I believe is the latest when I check for updates.It doesn't really worry me but it would be nice to know that it is actually going up or down.All ideas would be appreciated...Thanks in advance.Edit: Moved topic from Mac OS to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Look under Settings>Sounds>Ringer & Alerts> turn off Change with buttons, this will return the volume icon on the screen.

This might just be it. It looks like this might be due to a quirk in the iOS that shows up on the iPad due to differences with the iPhone.

On an iPhone, all this switch does really does is turn on/off the ability of the volume buttons to adjust the RINGER volume. If this is off, then the volume buttons only will adjust the volume of non-ringer items (i.e. music playback, alarm sounds, keyboard typing sound if you have that turned on, camera click sounds, etc). With it turned on, you should still get an onscreen display of ringer volume when you adjust it with the buttons (i.e. the onscreen display will be labeled "Ringer"). With it turned off, then the onscreen display should be of the non-ringer volume (i.e. the onscreen display will be labeled "Volume"). With the iPhone, with the switch in either position, you still get an onscreen display of the volume level, it is just a matter of which volume level it is adjusting (i.e. either the Ringer volume or general, non-ringer volume).

In the case of the iPad, it has no ringer since it is not a phone (i.e. does not have the Apple phone app...although it can be used as "phone" using other VOIP apps, but that is beside the point). As a result, when that switch is turned off, the onscreen display does not show up...even though the physical volume button actually still adjust the volume. So, on an iPad, it seems the effect of the switch is NOT to actually turn on/off whether the physical buttons will actually adjust the volume (when I test the switch in either position, the buttons changed the volume), but rather to effectively turn on/off the onscreen display of the volume level when adjusting the volume with the buttons. So, to me, either the "label" for that switch in the settings is wrong or the switch is not needed as it does not really do what is says it does. The switch does actually do what is says on the iPhone, however.

#12 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

The latest IOS Update is 10.3.2 :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users