Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux and Netflix

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 j_bins

j_bins

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:44 AM

Post-Windows Vista I am looking to put Linux on one of my machines. Its 32 bit and i thought I might try Mint XFCE. I use the computer mainly for a bit of web browsing, Netflix and watching DVDs.

I ran Mint from a disc and realised that Netflix won't work. It seems to be something to do with Silverlight. Anyone know of a workaround?

;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:49 AM

Hello,
I hope you get assistance with your Neflix problem.

somewhat off-topic
Why did you choose Mint over Puppy? I am also deciding and have boiled it down to these 2 distros. Isn't Puppy somewhat lighter whilst preserving much of the functionality of Mint?
:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 30 March 2017 - 05:49 AM.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:52 AM

Hi

Try this

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/547813/how-to-watch-netflix-in-ubuntu-1404-with-netflix-desktop-app/?hl=netflix

#4 res45

res45

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

Firefox or Google Chrome both support Netflix on Linux.  Just watched a show last night on both Cinnamon & KDE 18.1 versions of Linux Mint 64 bit.  Both play Netflix just fine with no additional installs.  Current version of Firefox is 52.0.1

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:23 AM

Thanks good to know.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:42 AM

From the web: Play Netflix on Linux with Firefox - LinuxConfig.org

Click on the link above for more info...I just copied the intro below...

Netflix and Linux have a somewhat troubled past. For years, Netflix actively blocked Linux users. More recently, support for Google Chrome was added. Firefox users, however, have been out of luck until just recently. As of Firefox 49, the option of using Google's DRM from the Chrome browser to play DRM content has been made optionally available to Firefox users. This has made it possible to watch Netflix, and potentially other DRM streaming services, using Firefox and without installing Google Chrome. What's better, the DRM can be turned off when you're done watching.

EDIT: meant to add since you are using 32 bit...Firefox still supports that.

Edited by buddy215, 30 March 2017 - 06:45 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:02 AM

@j_bins:-

There is another alternative. Yes, FireFox will now support NetFlix.....and Buddy is quite right. You can't use Chrome if you're 32-bit, since Google dropped support for 32-bit Chrome; it's now 64-bit only.

However, Chromium, which is what Chrome is based on, does support 32-bit. (It's only Google who decided to drop the support.....although the way things are going, 32-bit may not be supported for much longer by anybody.) 

I digress.

The SRWare 'Iron' browser is based on Chromium. This will play NetFlix, although SRWare themselves recommend that you 'borrow' the WideVine modules from the very last 32-bit version of Linux Chrome (48.0.2564.116). That's the bit of 'magic' that enables playback of streamed DRM-encoded content.

So that gives you two choices; FF52 32-bit, or Iron 56.2950.00. If you just want to install & use, without having to mess around with stuff, go for FireFox. It's not my personal favourite browser, but I won't hesitate to recommend it where it seems the right choice.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 March 2017 - 09:29 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

You may be able to run 64bit linux on your machine but we would have tho check.

The Vista era PC's are at the edge of when 64bit started to become standard.

Can you give us your specs?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

Hi all,

Wow, thanks for all the responses.

Hello,
I hope you get assistance with your Neflix problem.

somewhat off-topic
Why did you choose Mint over Puppy? I am also deciding and have boiled it down to these 2 distros. Isn't Puppy somewhat lighter whilst preserving much of the functionality of Mint?
:)

I chose Mint as it seemed to be a more straightforward move from Windows as the desktop etc is more like Windows in appearance etc. I may have that wrong though.....? I arrived at the decision after doing a few searches. :)

You may be able to run 64bit linux on your machine but we would have tho check.

The Vista era PC's are at the edge of when 64bit started to become standard.

Can you give us your specs?

OK here are the specs (Speccy Report). :

Operating System            Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2

CPU            Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40GHz   

RAM            2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)

Motherboard            Dell Inc. 0K216C (Socket 775)   

Graphics            DELL SE198WFP (1024x768@60Hz)
            895MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO (Dell)   

Storage            298GB Seagate ST3320620AS ATA Device (SATA)   

Optical Drives            Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7200S ATA Device

Audio            Realtek High Definition Audio

Is this enough info to determine the viability of running 64bit on my machine. Let me know if you want more info.

Thanks NickAu. I will have a read....'Pipline', 'Wine'.....all new to me...thanks :)

Firefox or Google Chrome both support Netflix on Linux.  Just watched a show last night on both Cinnamon & KDE 18.1 versions of Linux Mint 64 bit.  Both play Netflix just fine with no additional installs.  Current version of Firefox is 52.0.1

Thanks res45. I tried Firefox on the Mint Disc (XFCE 18.1 32bit) but got an error at each attempt to play a Netflix program. I will see what version of Firefox it was. Chrome has stopped support for the 32bit version so i have not tried that. If I can use 64bit I will give it a go.

@buddy215:  thanks. that sounds promising for Firefox49. will look into that.

@Mike_Walsh: FF52 32-bit sounds more appealing as its the simpler option. If all goes well with the install I might try Iron...once I get into the swing of Linux...;)

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

Well you are in really good luck here!

Not only can you run 64bit linux but also possibly up your RAM and make your machine run like new again!

The info on your motherboard is promising as sure you have a 4 GB limit to your RAM you would be able to handle chrome if you did your ram upgrade.

It seems to take standard DDR2 so finding compatible ram for cheap may not be that hard as DDR2 is very cheap right now.

Vista was probably made 32bit as at the time Microsoft was still new at 64bit, they would not even get the feel for 64bit until windows 7.

Plus price had a lot to do with it methinks.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

@MadmanRB: Thanks for looking into that. I will give the 64bit version of Mint XFCE a go. I don't think I want to spend any money at all really on the machine so will try to avoid getting extra RAM. I would have to replace the 2GB with 4GB or could I just add to the existing RAM? I heard that it is best to just replace the RAM with matching pairs etc... I will have a look inside anyhow and see what it is......ok maybe I will see how much RAM would cost...;)

​@buddy215: I tried the walkthrough - enabled DRM in Firefox(50.1) and then instaled and set 'Random Agent Spoofer' but Netflix still doesn't like it and I get an error ;(

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,885 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

You know...I never noticed you were in England. Perhaps some Brit will offer a solution. Might even look around a bit.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:23 AM

You know...I never noticed you were in England. Perhaps some Brit will offer a solution. Might even look around a bit.

...must update that...i live  in Ireland at the mo ;)

Netflix won't work in Windows on the Network I was using for these 'experiments'. I think its something to do with the ISP not liking Random Agent Spoofer maybe? Netflix says to get my ISP to flush their DNS. ....OK, I digress, this has nothing at all to do with Linux and is getting off-topic ;)

Edited by j_bins, 31 March 2017 - 03:31 AM.

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:50 AM

@j_bins:-

Just a suggestion, but try uninstalling the 'Random Agent Spoofer' extension, and try instead with the 'User Agent Overrider' extension. That's the one I used in the experiments.....although you should find as of this moment that NetFlix ought to work without any spoofing. They made some adjustments to the Linux set-up Wednesday last week, and spoofing shouldn't be required any more.

However, if you decide to go with 64-bit, you shouldn't have any problems with NetFlix in FF at all; just remember to enable the DRM tickbox under Preferences->Content.

Buddy probably mentioned your location due to the fact that certain NetFlix and DRM content in general has historically only been available in the continental United States.

EDIT:- Yep, just installed it from scratch in 32-bit Puppy 'Slacko' 5.6.0, and didn't even need the 'User Agent Overrider' extension enabled. Just the 'aPulse' .pet package to get the audio working. NetFlix fired straight up.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 31 March 2017 - 05:39 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,885 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:51 AM

Easy enough to change DNS server if that helps. Something I did when my ISP's default server was causing minor problems. Switched to

OpenDNS years ago.  Here is a link to a howto with excellent graphics and written instructions. Linux Mint/Cinnamon – OpenDNS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users