Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update 80073712 error, DISM /../RestoreHealth shows error 1726

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 User1412

User1412

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:13 AM

So...

I tried to update the system and i got the 80073712 error. After searching around on Microsoft Community and Technet, it is needed to run Dism to repair the system file. Finally i got the error 1726: The remote procedure call failed.

I tried again after scanning for malware/virus with no bad stuffs found (I'm currently using MBAM Premium and Avast Free AV), the DISM still showed 1726 error.

What should i do? Is it possible to not re-installing Windows?

Thanks,

p/s: I have my laptop spec uploaded as attachment (just in case if you need it)

edit: added DISM.log

Attached Files

Edited by User1412, 30 March 2017 - 05:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

Please execute batch script as a administrator to set Windows services to default startup settings.

Attached File  RestoreWindowsServices.zip   3.45KB   9 downloads

Posted Image

#3 User1412

User1412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:15 AM

Sorry for "very" late reply on this topic, been busy at my uni work.

I have run the script you gave me and it did not work as intended. Is there any other options available?

Thanks for helping.

Edit: Is there any way to fix the system file in safe mode using DISM/SFC command? I have a clean Windows 8.1 ISO file available (which is downloaded directly from MS); If there is, may I have a detailed guide about that? Thanks

Edited by User1412, 08 April 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

The 1726 error can be caused by corruption of the sfc component store.  Please do the following and see if this resolves the issue.

Rebuild the sfc component strore in Windows.

Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens select Command Prompt (Admin).

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt to rebuild the sfc component store, then press Enter.

WSReset.exe

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt to regesiter the store app., then press Enter.

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML

Restart the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 User1412

User1412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for your answer, dc3. However, the 1726 error kept showing up when i tried DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:"source file link goes here":1

The DISM /online /cleanup-image /ScanHealth showed that the component store is repairable.

More info in attached images and dism.log

Attached Files

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,759 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

In your last response you posted that you ran the DISM /online /cleanup-image /ScanHealth command.  This is not what I suggested.  Please do what I requested.  If you are having a problem running the commands I suggested let me know.  If you are just not interested in doing what has been suggested, let me know and I will leave this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 User1412

User1412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

Sorry about that, I should have attached the scanHealth in the first post.

About things you posted before, the command was successfully executed and I restarted the computer, after that I run the DISM /RestoreHealth again but the problem still showed up as in the first image.

Edited by User1412, 11 April 2017 - 08:14 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,759 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

About things you posted before,1. the command was successfully executed and I restarted the computer, 2. after that I run the DISM /RestoreHealth again but the problem still showed up as in the first image.

1. Which command, the two which I requested in post #4?

2. There is no point in repeatedly running the DISM command.  As you may already be aware, there are specific DISM commands for specific reports or repairs.  For example, if you want to see if there is any Component Store corruption you would run the DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth.

The Windows Ten Forums has a very good article which explains how to troubleshoot and repair the sfc Component Store.

#9 User1412

User1412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

1. Yes sir, it's the command you gave me in post #4. It ran successfully with no error shown.

2. Thanks for the link, however, I have searched through that page before coming to this forum as the guide they shown does not solve the problem.

Edited by User1412, 12 April 2017 - 10:54 AM.

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

Make sure the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is started and on Automatic.

Try disabling Malwarebytes and Avira before you run the DiSM Restore Health cmd as administrator.

How long is it since your Windows Updates last ran successfully?

#11 User1412

User1412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

Make sure the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is started and on Automatic.

Try disabling Malwarebytes and Avira before you run the DiSM Restore Health cmd as administrator.

How long is it since your Windows Updates last ran successfully?

Around 2-3 weeks before the error showed up, I will try your solution after the "cure" from dc3 ^^

#12 User1412

User1412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:35 AM

Um.. May I fix this problem by booting to SafeMode and run DISM with a defined source and /LimitAccess tag?

#13 User1412

User1412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:48 AM

As title, may I ask how to create a new WIM file or a source file for system recovery, as is used for DISM /Source tag?

Thanks.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,759 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

why do you need another application when you can use the Command Propt commands sfc /scannow and the DISM commands?

If you have a specific problem which we could help you with please explain this problem.

#15 User1412

User1412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:06 AM

When I try to run it in safemode with networking, there's no error 1726, instead, the error 0x800f081f shown up (The source files could not be found.)

I downloaded the Windows ISO files from Microsoft and attached the /Source tag with the directory to the .wim file, the DISM ran to 80% then stops with a same message, i figured the source file did not include the correct version of system file required for the repair, so I started this topic to ask about it. I already installed a new Windows virtual machine (fresh, fully updated) just in case.

Edited by hamluis, 23 May 2017 - 09:11 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users