Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About recovering deleted text files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 poiu2010

poiu2010

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

How can I get my Word and text files back from a formatted partition ?
I really need only the text files cuz they are V.important for me !
Any Help !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

There's a few options...

Recuva is pretty easy to use as a first point of call.

Let us know how you go.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

I do not really know what you're trying to say as far as the "from a formatted partition" part.  This could mean from a partition that has been formatted after the delete or files that were deleted from a formatted partition (which would be pretty much any deleted file, but still).  And if you formatted a partition after the delete it also depends on how (quick format versus full format).

If you've deleted files and want to try to get them back I suggest you take a look at the PhotoRec (which recovers many types of files other than images) program that's part of TestDisk.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

Duplicate deleted.

Edited by britechguy, 29 March 2017 - 08:35 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:34 PM

The recommendation for Recuva is definitely what you should try first if all you've done is delete files, with no formatting afterward.

Edited by britechguy, 29 March 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#6 poiu2010

poiu2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:26 AM

Really the hard disk was damaged , and it was not able to open so i've formatted it by " Quick Format " .. and i was searching for a program can recover my " TXT + Docs " Files from that formatted Hard..

i will try TestDesk and i will reply the result..

#7 poiu2010

poiu2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:48 AM

But another question, do the recovered files get back with their previous names as before formatting or another ones ?!

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:36 AM

Hello,

Depending on what type of recovery you do, this could be different, but usually all files come back with their original name, provided that they haven't been corrupted.
:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 30 March 2017 - 05:37 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

Really the hard disk was damaged , and it was not able to open so i've formatted it by " Quick Format " .. and i was searching for a program can recover my " TXT + Docs " Files from that formatted Hard..

i will try TestDesk and i will reply the result..

Uh, then in all likelihood that hard drive is in the process of failing.  A quick format results in minimum destruction of existing data simply because it doesn't overwrite it, but instead marks existing data blocks as free for use without erasing the contents of said data blocks.

You will use PhotoRec to recover these files.  They may or may not have the same names and you may have duplicates since as files get moved around during processes like defragmentation the original blocks they were in still exist and can be reconstructed and if they've been moved multiple times, well . . .

I recently had to do just this sort of recovery on a client's failed hard drive, but we did not reformat it and, for future reference, you shouldn't if you want the maximum possibility of getting stuff back.

After you're done invest in a backup drive and use it.  It saves a lot of heartache when inevitable events such as this one occur and if you use computers long enough believe me, even if it happens only once in decades, it's still going to happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users