Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox plugin container cpu's

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

I have read that there is nothing that can be done about Firefox plugin container using 100% CPU.  If anyone here disagrees, please, let me know.

(This causes some sites, usually paid videos, to jerk and stall and out of sync with audio.)

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:57 AM

Hello,

You can usually lessen this problem by:
1.Upgrading your PC, mainly the CPU and then the RAM
2.Installing Google Chrome web-browser, as it uses a 'smarter' approach to opening many tasks or pages at once, by pausing the inactive ones until you need them(click on them)
3.Not opening too many tabs at once (No more than 3-10 at the same time)
4.My personal favourite solution - Ctrl + Alt + Del for opening Task Manager and then going to processes, finding 'plugin-container', selecting it, clicking on 'End process' and opening your browser again where all your tabs will be 'paused' until you click on them. Then they will refresh.

Hope this somewhat helps. Usually somebody who knows more than me will hell you further after a while!

P.S. I've listed my suggestions from 1 to 4, based on ease of use, from low to high.
:)

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

Firefox plugin container using 100% CPU

How do you know that it uses 100% of CPU
It is not possible in any way, because if it uses 100% CPU, will not be able to work no other thing besides the container, but as the container is similar to a folder, it is not possible. None of the container or the folder can not be used for any % of the CPU never, only working programs can do it.

#4 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

Thank-you, for your responses.

1.  Upgrading:  I don't think a laptop is capable of a CPU upgrade.  Memory, I can only try a little more.

2.  Chrome does not work for me for other reasons.

3.  I know about not having too many tabs open.

4.  I have tried closing plugin container.  When I do that, the videos will not play at all.

5.  Okay, plugin container does not use the 100%, but with it, CPU's reach 100% and plugin container uses 70-95% of the 100.  How do I know?  Windows performance resource monitor for CPU says so, and whenever it says so, my machine freezes during that time.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

4.  I have tried closing plugin container.  When I do that, the videos will not play at all.

I think the most that you can do at this point is ending 'firefox.exe', not 'plugin-container' in Processes in Task Manager and then opening Mozilla Firefox again. All your tabs from before you ended the process will still be there, don't worry. :)

#6 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

I tried that, along with clearing all the files at the same time.  After restarting FF, as soon as I restart a video, it immediately maxes out again.  Like I said, this does not happen with all videos, not youtube, for example, (the total including youtube is stays around 10%), but frustratingly, it is usually the ones I pay for, and also some other sites that do not even have videos on them.

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

Well, I guess there is nothing left to be done, besides:
1.Clearing your computer from all junk files, unnecessary programs and everything which you don't need. You can disable, for example, the animations on your computer so that it runs faster. You can use a program like CCleaner to clear your computer just with the clicking of one button.
2.Reinstalling your OS for a faster, more painless process of doing the same as in 1.
3.Installing a lighter OS, such as Linix Mint or Puppy Linux, which uses less resources.
4.Buying a new computer. Pretty much any machine with Intel Core i-series CPU, especially 4-core ones, 8GB of RAM, 1TB of SSD and Windows 10 Home OS, can run anything in the world, apart from some games and graphics programs. This type of computer should be 'good' for another ~5 years.

But in your case I would suggest cleaning your computer both inside and out (software and hardware) and only opening up 1 program at a time. Also, avoid playing HD videos. Try using CCleaner for cleaning your PC relatively fast.
Finally, when some process is using a lot of CPU % in Task Manager, you can try to click on it with the right button and then setting its Priority to 'High' (but not 'Real time'!).

Hope this somewhat helps! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 31 March 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Try disabling hardware acceleration for Flash.

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#9 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

I keep this machine clean regularly (junk files, etc), although, I am not sure what you mean by cleaning hardware (clean dust out of the fan?  I do that, too).

This machine has always worked fine for these type of videos and everything else.  This is a recent event that is so far, unexplainable.

The process that is using a lot of CPU at the time, is the plugin container.

I have already tried disabling hardware acceleration for Flash.  It had no effect.

I just noticed in installed programs that there is both "Adobe Flash Player 25 NPAPI" and "Adobe Flash Player 25 PPAPI".  There have never been 2 Flash Player entries before/in the past.  Could this have something to do with it?

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:09 AM

Yes, I meant cleaning up the fan and internals, just to be sure it's not overheating.

Apart from suggesting to download and run Malwarebytes, I am sorry, but I can't help you any further. :(
The guys here are experts, wait for their replies! :)

#11 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Yes, I also run Malewarebytes regularly.

Thanks, for your effort.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

Please enter the following command from a Command Prompt:

cd desktop & \\live.sysinternals.com\tools\procdump -c 30 -ma -w plugin-container
and browse the internet as normally. This will generate a full process dump using Sysinternals ProcDump, when plugin-container.exe's CPU goes over 30%. You'll find the dump on your Desktop; please zip it up, and upload it to a trustworthy third-party file-sharing service.

regards,
bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#13 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

So this is okay?  Could it be the problem?

I just noticed in installed programs that there is both "Adobe Flash Player 25 NPAPI" and "Adobe Flash Player 25 PPAPI".  There have never been 2 Flash Player entries before/in the past.  Could this have something to do with it?

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

I don't think they're a problem as I have the same entries on my computer and do not experience any issues whatsoever. Will you please generate the process dump anyway?

Regards,

bwv848

#15 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

It says, "The network path was not found."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users