Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Review:Windows 10 Creators Update is quite a small major update

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

The next big update to Windows 10 is nearly upon us: Windows 10 version 1703, known as the Creators Update, will be published to Windows Update next Patch Tuesday, on April 11th.

The final build is—probably—15063. That build is already available to insiders and should soon become available for the Windows 10 Media Creation tool, but we also know that there are going to be some patches materializing some time between now and then. There's a small chance those patches will bump the build number; more likely, they will instead bump the patch number, which is currently a pristine and perfect 0 on the desktop. The mobile build has already been bumped, to 15063.2, to handle an installation problem when upgrading from version 1607.

The article brought up a good point on insider builds to flush out bugs.

My experience with the integrated Beam support did, however, bring up some issues that call to mind my broader concerns about how Windows 10 is tested. The Windows Insider program is huge, with Microsoft now claiming more than 10 million testers, but my suspicion is that few of these testers are using the previews on their daily driver PCs, because their quality simply isn't good enough. Rather, they're using the previews in virtual machines or on secondary systems. As such, the previews get relatively little use on systems that have lots of hardware—as became apparent with version 1607's handling of webcams—or a wide range of software.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,648 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

Regardless of what kinds of machines are being used by Windows Insiders, this program is a major leap forward in the realm of beta testing.

Given the number of hardware configurations out there "in the wild" (and that a number of them never tested/certified by their manufacturers for use with Windows 10 that are running Windows 10) there is no way that Microsoft could ever possibly do in-house testing to cover literally all the bases.  [That observation isn't limited to Microsoft, either.]

I was once a "Windows Insider" but dropped out a while back.  The "enthusiastic Insider contingent" that religiously keeps up with the latest available builds remains larger than anything any company could hope to achieve in-house.

The whole Windows Insider program was a very slick move, and a very successful one, in my opinion.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:48 AM

I have installed and I'm running the Creators Edition, version 1703. I have to agree that for my use and purposes there is very little if any upgrade to this new version. For me, on my computer and for my purpose, I see no significant difference between 1703 and 1607.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

I guess that the Creators Edition just went out yesterday and today we got our first cumulative update.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:38 AM

I should add that the patch that Microsoft sent out yesterday bumps the build number to 15063.11. It seems to be a very stable build with zero issues.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:48 PM

I have been running the Windows 10 Creators Update for several days and I must say that for my purposes and on my computer, there are zero new features. But....

I did a clean install of the Creators Update to a blank SSD on Thursday and I have had zero problems, this version of Windows 10 is fast and robust. It is the first version that takes full advantage of all of Microsoft's new compression technologies, and it shows. With the Creators Update, my computer now uses 1.4 gb of RAM at idle, which is inline with a good, modern version of Linux (such as Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1). Also, with just a few apps open I now use between 0% and 1% of my CPU, which is actually slightly better than Mint 18.1.

This version of Windows 10 is quite efficient and streamlined and should make everybody happy.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,648 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

Rocky Bennett wrote, in part [italic emphasis mine]:  This version of Windows 10 is quite efficient and streamlined and should make everybody happy.

Hope springs eternal!

I counter that with, "You couldn't please certain people if you hung 'em with a new rope!"  [And it seems there is a contingent that considers Windows rope and any use of it a hanging offense.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

Brian, again you speak words of wisdom. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote the above words. HA! HA! HA! :thumbup2:

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

I applied the Creators Update over the weekend just gone and all went well :)

Only one issue: It turned ON the "Fast Startup" option which on my system is a Very Bad Thing as I have two win-10 installations (one 32-bit, one 64-bit) and Ubuntu (64-bit).

The Fast Startup option results in this *hideous* delay from power on to boot menu of around 3 to 4 minutes.  'Orrible.

Turned it off on both Win-10 installations and boot-up time went back to what it was before.

Just a heads-up for anybody else who finds that going from power-up to boot menu on a multi-boot system has been impacted by doing the Creators Update.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,648 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

Angloid,

Just FYI, my system did the same thing, but I'm not so sure it was Creators Update that did it.  I long ago turned off Fast Startup on all my machines, but only the one I'm typing on has had Creators Update applied.  The others that remain on late Anniversary Update (Version 1607) builds also now have Fast Startup turned back on again.   It may have been applied by a very late update to Anniversary Update.

This habit of changing user settings that a user has reset has become infuriating and has no business occurring.  I wouldn't have any issue were these changed during an update of necessity but then:

1.  Changed back to whatever state they were in prior to the update.  How hard can it be to query and save each and every setting that an update changes then using those saved values to change them back?

2. Or the user is told, explicitly, that they need to check settings X, Y, and Z on conclusion of the update to ensure that their preferences can be put in place because the update may have undone prior choices by the user.

#11 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

Brian:

Thanks for the "heads-up."  I just checked by Build 1607 (Windows hasn't yet rolled out the Creator's Update to me via Windows Update, for which I am grateful).  I too had to turned "Fast Startup" off when I installed Windows 10 back in December 2015, via Clean Install using the Media Creation Tool, and lo and behold, when I went to check today, it was turned back on.  I will have to watch on both of my computers from now on.

I concur with you.  MS should NOT be messing with user configuration settings.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#12 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:20 AM

In my case, I had boot-up speed issues after going to Windows 10 originally and after a lot of Googling about (I may have also asked here as well, can't remember now as it was quite some time ago), I came to the conclusion that it was the Fast Startup option that was doing it.  So I turned it off and the problems went away.

I didn't check the setting before doing the CU because I didn't think to do it.  The problem came back immediately after the CU had gone through and the system was up and running again, so I can only surmise that it was the CU that did it, but I couldn't be 100% certain of that due to not having checked beforehand.

I agree that M$ should not change settings that the user has changed, but sometimes the problem comes when a setting takes on a slightly different meaning to what it did before, does something differently, or has been moved to a different area.  I have seen software updates trash settings because they all got changed in meaning and moved to somewhere else.  Certainly just reverting a setting without warning should be a hanging offence.

That said, the right thing to have done would have been to advise the user that these settings (list them and their settings) have been moved / changed in meaning and have been set to the following values (list the new values) and provide for the user to review them and set them differently, if required.  But I can't see how any of this should have impacted an option such as "Fast Startup" ... even though having it set to "on" is the Microsoft recommended setting, it isn't always beneficial and if you don't want it set, then it should never be set silently behind the scenes for you.

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#13 johnsig

johnsig

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

I installed the update today on my Lenovo.  First thing I noticed is that "Control Panel" is now gone lthough I can get to it by searching.  It added about a dozen programs to run at startup.  The are about a dozen new programs installed including several from Lenovo.  There are some drivers changed. IE now has a new Lenovo sub home page which opens along with my normal home page. WTF?  I've rolled back and won't be updating soon.

#14 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:42 AM

I had a strange thing happen, talking of control panel.

I had the "God mode" control panel on my Desktop, and prior to the update I had the control panel icon and for the name, I had "GodMod.{....}" (whatever the first few characters of the GUID are).

After the CU, the name had vanished.  Just gone.  Tried to rename it, and the name disappeared!

The icon is the same, and really this is no biggie, but it just struck me as weird.

Also, the little arrowhead in SOME of the shortcuts has gone, leaving me with the icon for the program itself.  Not all, only some.

Again, no biggie, but I may try and and work out the circumstances under which this has occurred and search / post in the M$ forums about it, although something as obvious as this will probably already have been highlighted to them.

johnsig, if your laptop came with Win 10 already installed so you upgraded your OEM version, that could be why.  In my case, Win 10 started life as a clean install so there was no bloatware to reinstall and it didn't try to pull any third party stuff down.  I did get an alert about a driver that needed updating, and when I clicked on the notification to see what it was the notification message disappeared and the link provided for "Click here for more information" just took me to a generic Help page on Microsoft's website.  The link should have said, "Click here for generic help that is irrelevant to this issue."

Edited by Angoid, 27 April 2017 - 03:46 AM.

#15 johnsig

johnsig

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:28 AM

I must admit, I never heard of Godmode, but google took me to simple instructions for setting it up and I love it!  I may have to go thru each and every entry.  Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users