Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

broadband hog?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 baymerlou

baymerlou

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:17 AM

My home network consists of one modem and I have it wifi enabled with all devices to access using a password to the home network.  My husband and I have android phones, my laptop is hooked up to wifi and my sister has all apple devices, phone, tablet and laptop.   Since she moved in my allowable monthly usage has doubled from my using approx 85 gig a month to 145-170 gig a month.  She insists that she is not downloading or streaming and my modem light is constantly flickering like there is always a download or upload happening.     Is this typical for apple devices?   

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

It is not unusual for there to be internal network activity between your machines and the router and your machines even if there's not a thing being uploaded or downloaded, so that network activity light is not a good indicator of anything other than that your LAN is active.

Virtually any modem-router I'm aware of has a reporting capability regarding the amount of data that each device connected to it has transmitted during the time period since the modem-router was last started up.  My Verizon DLink 2750 reports this in terms of number of packets and in KB if I select any one of the devices in the list connected to the network.

Something's sucking down that data and you should be able to use your modem-router's own administration interface to determine what that something is.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

Hello

It is hard to say exactly what is using data without any device that can log what is going on

If you and your husband use 85GB split over your 3 devices you use 28.33GB pr device
If she has 3 devices and use 60 to 85GB her useage would be 20GB to 28.33GB pr device

Maybe she is just a more active surfer than you two are?
Facebook surfing, youtube watching, snapchat and instagram can use a surprising amount of data.

Apple devices as such doesnt use more or less data than android phones/windows computers would do.

If you want some advice on how to look further into it, feel free to ask :)

tfn

Edit:
The joy of typing a post throughout the day. I didnt see britechguys answer until after i replied.
Some good advice there :)

Edited by toofarnorth, 29 March 2017 - 10:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users