Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen of Death? Possible Display Adapter Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Leonius

Leonius

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:25 AM

Hello! I've got quite a frustrating issue here, I hope I have followed all instructions but please let me know if I need to add anything. Specs following summary.

I turned on my laptop, left it for a few minutes, and it automatically thermal shutdowned. This happens sometimes, I have a fan that helps. This time, the "Starting Windows" animation would appear, but then it led to a black screen with NO cursor, and I would have to manually shut down.
I googled around and figured this might be a display adapter driver issue. I have an HP laptop that never got updated drivers, so I went into device manager, uninstalled, rebooted and let Windows find the drivers, still nothing. I also tried to reset default start-up settings in the BIOS, still nothing. 

Safe mode does work however. I tried two different system restore points, as far as two weeks back, but the issue persists. Following one disabling of all the drivers, I was able to log in normally, but after a few minutes the screen BSODed. On another run I did hear the start-up sound, but the screen remained black with no cursor. 

If I disable all display adapters it will sometimes let me log in normally (non-safe mode) under poor display settings, and Avira my antivirus, is disabled and cannot be re-enabled. That is a weird twist in this.

Does all that make sense? It's been confusing for me too but it's late. I ran the sysnative in safemode, it hung at the last step so I manually created the zip file per instructions. Perfmon resulted in an error.

Please let me know if I can provide other info, but I would really, really appreciate your help!

SPECS:
HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC - Model 17t-3000

Windows 7 - x64 - OEM
Purchased April 2012 I believe, never reinstalled OS

Video card: Radeon HD 7690M XT
Driver: 11/28/2011 - 8.882.2.4000 (says its up to date, no further drivers released per HP's website)

Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @2.20 Ghz

Mod Edit:  Merged posts - Hamluis.
Sorry for double post, also did a start-up log, adding that here in case it helps! If no, please ignore!

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2017 - 05:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:01 AM

No memory dumps from 2017 in the uploaded reports

But plenty of 2017 BSOD's listed in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report

That also contains many Live Kernel Events (more than the number of BSOD's)

This is most often a hardware problem - and as you describe the system overheating, I'd suspect that this is the primary cause.

My suggestion is to get come canned air and blow out the vents (do not overspeed the fan when doing this - you'll hear it whirr) thoroughly.

Then use the cooling pad while running it.  Finally, use this free tool to monitor your temps:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

If needed, you can make the Speedfan program log the temps:

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.
[/quote]NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

If the system still overheats, you may have to open the case to clean it out (or take it to a shop to have it done).

When done, please visit the HP support site for your model and download/install the latest, W7 compatible drivers and utilities for your system.

Uninstalling the drivers from Device Manager let Windows Update provide you with some drivers.  And Windows Update does not always provide the latest drivers.

Also, have you checked Device Manager to be sure that all devices are working?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users